Fish Acting Weird Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kubora666

Fish Addict
Reaction score
well i psoted here because i wanted quik replys, yesterday i realised the fish in my cichlid tank whre swimming mouths to the top of the water, i assumed hmm high levels and i did a 25% water change, and filtered the gravel so no junk was in it, its got a big eheim and an internal filter, today i come in fro mschool and they are doing this again, could there be another reason ? what should i do ? please help,
regards kubora666

Have you checked the stats? ammonia, nitrite etc.?

Right need to know tank size in gallons or litres, full fish stock of the tank, how many and which kind, water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, how long has the tank been set up.

nearly a year, alot of random S.A cichlids that are no larger thn 6" they bin very good for nearly a year and all that, ots almost liek teh big waterchange didnt do anything :S

If most of the fish are gasping it due to bad water quality, did you squeeze some old filter sponges over the new filters sponges, also gasping can be parasites and bacterial infections, that why we need to look at your stats.

sorry i have no kits atm, would it be worth treating the tank with myaxin or such, i have a bottle?

No it will make matters worse, do a water change, increase aeration and get your water tested at the lfs and tell them to write the readings down for you, have any chemicals got into the tank, been using anything or decorating.

everything was in order, no changes etc, i hadnt done a water change in about 2 months, they wer at the top so i did a quater one, should i jst do antoerh water change to get more of the water quality better? as i havent had any problems with this tank since august last year..

Well there your answer, bad water quality, i would give the tank a good vac, and do meduim sized water changes, don't want to swing stats back to fast is will stress and shock the fish other wise.
Also increase aeration, fish only stay healthy due to the amount of time and effort you put in.

so tomroow night, water change, how can iget more air in ? and until friday mild water changes each night to keep ontop ?

i did yes, there is alot of snails in the tank a sudden outbust of small cone shell ones.
i will get a air pump as i work at an aquatic center. is there any cichlids that eat snails? or anything compatiable with cichlids that does ?

Don't no sorry, there are some fish that eat snails i would ask in the tropical chit chat section, remove dead snails as they can release toxins into the water when they are rotting away, causing fish deaths.

ooh thanks for that, well they dont die they all keep multiplying...

:lol: Can soon take over a tank, get a bottle and put some lettuce though i think they prefer cucumba in it, loads of them will go into the bottle, them remove it

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back