first time tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Airli

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
this is my new 3foot tank, it is still cycling and is obivously only in very early stages. i want to try planting it, and i doesnt have any kind of background yet and the water is tannin stained...

i have a lot of work to do with it yet so, be gentle.......

(crosses fingers.... please work)

Attachments

• edittank.JPG
    edittank.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 35
Nice! :thumbs:

What type of wood is that in your tank? It looks like a tree brach to me?! Eucalyptus wood is not good in water. (If it is eucalyptus) :dunno:

Just thought id tell ya, :whistle: Anyways, nice tank! :kewlpics:

They are basically roting in water. They are not "water" plants really, more terrestrial. (i think thats the word for 'above water level') As they rot, they release products they have consumed in there life time. Ie co2. And they can also raise nitrates etc.

If any one cares to correct me, im all ears. :)

hmm, my tank doesnt have any nitrates...
do u think it would release to much co2 to be able to keep it in the tank? even with live plants?
is it not doable at all?

even river redgum?

thanks for the heads up btw

I think its do-able. Just pay close attention to water params. (im kinda slack on checking my water params, thats why i dont like too do anything that could increase them... :*) ) But the reason why i say they raise nitrates is when the bacteria start to eat it, they will produce nitrates nitrites etc etc. But your tank may be able too cope with these. :dunno:

Anyone else?

PS, i dont think the co2 will be a prob. Mangrove trees consume it too, so it would be in all driftwood. So i cant see a prob with it. :thumbs:

thanks for the info, i'll definately keep on eye on it.

anyone else have any comments, ideas, tips?

ok updated, yes i know its only like 2 days later. only changed a little bit and the tank is all cloudy from me digging it up to plant the new plants. hope to get a small anubias(?) or whatever on a small driftwood up front...

Attachments

• new600.JPG
    new600.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 26
the plants really made a difference, that's going to be a very nice tank once it clears up. Good job!

thanks guys, i really appreciate the encouragement. makes a difference :)

I like it, Like someone else said its way better than my first tank too.
The wood is lovely and dont worry about the tannins some people buy small bits of bog wood every couple of weeks just to keep the brown look in the tank, I like it myself.
It will also clear up shortly too but you might get a bacterial bloom during cycling but dont worry about it its a sign your tank is on the way to been cycled.
Thanks for sharing your tank. :cool:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back