First time shrimp keeper.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Fish are friends

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Today I bought 8 cherry shrimp. The tank is 2 months old and is heavily planted. Iā€™ve floated the bag for about 30 min and then every 5 min added half a cup of my water to the bag for the next half hour. Do I scoop the shrimp out with a net when adding or can I just put the water and shrimp into the tank. I wouldnā€™t normally add fish store water to my tank but I have heard itā€™s the least stressful way of adding shrimp.

Definitely donā€™t add the store water in your tank - bad idea.

I recommend gently stopping the shrimp out with a soft brine shrimp net. If you get a to large of yet, the shrimp may get their body parts caught in them.

Difference:
image.jpg
(Regular left, Brine Shrimp right)

If you donā€™t have a smaller net like the one on the right, you can use the bigger net, just be careful.

Iā€™ve got a small net which is quite a tight knit mesh.. how long to I keep the lights off and is it wise to put a sponge over the filter inlet? It is about 6 inches off the bottom?

Iā€™ve got a small net which is quite a tight knit mesh.. how long to I keep the lights off and is it wise to put a sponge over the filter inlet? It is about 6 inches off the bottom?
Shrimp donā€™t need the ā€œno lightā€ treatment, unlike fish. You can if you wish. If you choose to, I would leave them off for the rest of the day.

Depends on what kind of filter it is. If itā€™s an HOB filter, with the intake sticking into the water, then yes, itā€™s a good idea to add a sponge over it.

The filter is a boyu EF35 canister filter. It is a 3 ft 250l heavily planted tank.

Set it up so you can pour the bag into the net, then place them into the tank. They look fragile, and.are to some.extent, but they will be fine. That is nothing compared to the treatment they get during transport and handling. The shrimp.will come out with the water if you do it.right....if not, you can simply dip the bag into the tank at that point and wash whoever din't make it out.

I use a gallon ice cream bucket and a 20oz bottle and set the net up over the bucket and pour them out. I do this for all additions, cept snails. Just pour throug the net, right on top of the tank if ya can, or close to it, then add to the tank. Makes it quick.

I would cover the intake tube with sponge. While adults may not get sucked up, baby shrimps might.

I prefer these, more neat and tidy looking than sponges...and easy to clean, with hot tap water and an old toothbrush

As advised above, NEVER add tank water from an LFS to your tank water at home...for fish and shrimp, I use a large net, poised over a bucket, dump the fish/shrimp/water from the bag into the bucket, then lower the net into my tank.

I wouldn't use cloth, shrimp and fish are jumpy when out of the water, cloth wouldn't keep them contained.
I use a 4" X 5" fish net I bought at Petco for 3 or 4 bucks...

I wouldn't use cloth, shrimp and fish are jumpy when out of the water, cloth wouldn't keep them contained.
I use a 4" X 5" fish net I bought at Petco for 3 or
ok! i already have a thin net like the blue one pictured and i might just make it out of thin mesh actually. im planning to use it to make brine shrimp

ok! i already have a thin net like the blue one pictured and i might just make it out of thin mesh actually. im planning to use it to make brine shrimp
Yes, you can get them cheap at PetCo/PetSmart for under $5.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back