First tests

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CRS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

So i filled my tank up a week ago on Wednesday, today i added the first lot of plants and i carried out the first tests, the result were:

ph = 7
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = Between 0 and 3 but definately less than 5 it's difficult to tell from the colour.

According to the test kit the results are good? If this is correct how come i have to wait an additional few more weeks til i can add fish?
I am more than happy to wait and be patient and to do it correctly, but reading different things all the time gets really confusing.

I also bought a cheap CO2 kit, if there are any decent kits you would recommend to that would be great :)

Thanks for any advise,

Craig

So, you are doing a planted ("silent") cycle?

Is your tap water chlorinated? Did you add a water conditioner?

So, you are doing a planted ("silent") cycle?

Is your tap water chlorinated? Did you add a water conditioner?

I haven't added anything to the water, the above tests are the only tests i've done.
I'm not sure on the different types of cycles. :huh:

You don't need a chlorine test.
Just about every water company in the UK adds chlorine or chloramine to mains water to kill bacteria. All you need to do is add a dechlorinator to remove chlorine (chloramine is ammonia and chlorine joined together).

Plant cycles involve planting the tank heavily with fast growing plants. The tank is then left for a few weeks until the plants are obviously growing, then fish can be added a few at a time. To safe rather than sorry, it is a good idea to test for ammonia and nitrite every day to make sure neither shows above zero.

Reactions: CRS
You don't need a chlorine test.
Just about every water company in the UK adds chlorine or chloramine to mains water to kill bacteria. All you need to do is add a dechlorinator to remove chlorine (chloramine is ammonia and chlorine joined together).

Plant cycles involve planting the tank heavily with fast growing plants. The tank is then left for a few weeks until the plants are obviously growing, then fish can be added a few at a time. To safe rather than sorry, it is a good idea to test for ammonia and nitrite every day to make sure neither shows above zero.

Thank you Essjay, i've just had a look through the bits that arrived with the tank, found some dechlorinator and added the correct amount.
Yeah i plan on adding alot of plants, the guy today said most of what i bought is fast growing, i'll go back for more this week as i probably need another 3 times this amount.
As for the ammonia and nitrite i'll continue to test regulary.

To reiterate, this is most important, especially for beginning fishkeepers: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycle-your-tank-a-complete-guide-for-beginners.475055/

You are going to need a good quality test kit, many of us use this one, with great success: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

You will also need a good quality water conditioner, invest in either a bottle of Seachem Prime, or API Tap Water Conditioner

But first, read and understand that Cycling sticky, and post any questions you may have about cycling here.

Good luck!

Reactions: CRS

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back