First tank, Superfish 80l

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So, Fork and Socket have moved to their very own, brand new 70l (tank 4 including my planted bowl - MTS has struck). There is a system of holes and caves for Socket to hide, plus water sprite and planted plants for hiding too. It is working well.

They had produced eggs in the breeder tank (3rd brood so far) but I left them behind and the filter has dealt with them.

This has left loads of space for the peacock gudgeons who are making full use of it. Since I removed the heater and its vents Hector has been despondent, but now he has adopted a new cave. None of the females are interested though. I'd like to see how he responds to fatherhood as if he isn't too aggressive I may add some tetras, but AqAdvisor doesn't recommend that if the male peacock gets too aggressive and territorial.

Two of the females, Florence and ZsaZsa, keep sparring but no harm done.

Interestingly, the water spangles are all pale or yellowing and I suspect the lighting is to blame. Maybe they are being bleached or scorched by it?
Wow! Which ones are fork and socket again? Are they the peacock gudgeons or the honey gouramis? Also I kinda want to see a picture of the 70l 😏

Wow! Which ones are fork and socket again? Are they the peacock gudgeons or the honey gouramis? Also I kinda want to see a picture of the 70l 😏
They are the 'peaceful' honey gouramis :lol:
The 70l was put together in a hurry for them so it's nothing special. Here it is, the holey rocks are where Socket hides.
16260219459638550947060034004273.jpg

So, the gouramis in tank 3 have produced a handful of fry again. I have about 5 or so left from their very first mating who I just released from their breeding box in tank 2 now they are 2 weeks and 3 days old. They are on liquifry and Hikari first bites, although I can only assume they eat because they are growing. I've not witnessed any interest. The nitrites keep spiking so I am doing 50% water changes daily, plus another 25% most days. Hard work fry, just like babies!
Tank 1, the source of this journal, has finally settled now the gouramis have left. The females frequently squabble, but not badly so, I think. Hector still hasn't mated which is just as well!
I have to move tanks 1 and 3 out of the room as I'm having some minor building work from Friday to make space for a 300l tank; tank 4 (or 5 if the jarrarium with a nerite is included). MTS is eating away my fairly meagre savings! But it is addictive! I'm not looking forward to moving the tanks, even though they are small. I'm not sure if I can save the latest batch of fry, again, in doing it. They'd get eaten anyway though, I suppose.

Either your tank/water suits them or you have managed to buy some very 'frisky' fish :)
I do happen to have been keeping their water good. Plenty of water changes; every few days. But I suspect these really are 'frisky' fish. Fork is on his 5th nest in 19 days! He's unstoppable. :lol:
Sadly very few fry have survived from the first batch, but today I put in a small sponge I'd run in the main tank, so I'm hoping the added cycled filtration will stop the ammonia and nitrite spikes. I'll monitor the main tank for a few days in case it lost too many BB. I'd love to stop twice daily water changes for the fry!

Having lost all 3 female peacock gudgeons because they jumped out and found Hector guarding a cave, I now have peacock fry and 7 more young peacocks I had bought to shoal with Hector. I didn't believe Hector had eggs.

I tried to move the fry and caught about 5 who now live in the fry tank. The gourami fry are almost 6 weeks old and I've moved them in with their Mum, hoping she doesn't hurt them. So the main tank now has 8 peacock gudgeons and some peacock fry. The water level has also been lowered to prevent jumping exits, but I'll have to sort out any fry that survive so the stocking levels aren't too great as they grow.

Having lost all 3 female peacock gudgeons because they jumped out and found Hector guarding a cave, I now have peacock fry and 7 more young peacocks I had bought to shoal with Hector. I didn't believe Hector had eggs.

I tried to move the fry and caught about 5 who now live in the fry tank. The gourami fry are almost 6 weeks old and I've moved them in with their Mum, hoping she doesn't hurt them. So the main tank now has 8 peacock gudgeons and some peacock fry. The water level has also been lowered to prevent jumping exits, but I'll have to sort out any fry that survive so the stocking levels aren't too great as they grow.
Couldn't you just get a lid or a metal wire?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back