First tank, Superfish 80l

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So, now the gourami have another batch of eggs and this time they'll have to manage alone. My spare tank still has last week's fry in it and nitrites keep threatening to be an issue since I'm relying on the Salvinia to manage them. I couldn't add more bio load.

The way things are goinfg you will soon need a separate tank for Fork, and move the female in briefly just for spawning. Then another tank for the fry or Fork is likely to eat them as they get bigger.

The advantage with peacock gudgeons is the eggs are tucked away in a cave and the male stays in with them except briefly to feed. Once the eggs have hatched he'll throw the fry out of the cave and ignore them except possibly as food.

The way things are goinfg you will soon need a separate tank for Fork, and move the female in briefly just for spawning. Then another tank for the fry or Fork is likely to eat them as they get bigger.

The advantage with peacock gudgeons is the eggs are tucked away in a cave and the male stays in with them except briefly to feed. Once the eggs have hatched he'll throw the fry out of the cave and ignore them except possibly as food.
Is this how MTS starts?

I'm not sure. If he doesn't harass the female too much she'd be OK with him. I always kept mine as a m/f pair and the males didn't bother the females very much. But your Fork sounds as though he wants to breed constantly.......

How is he with the female when he has eggs to guard? Does he keep her pinned in a corner, or is that just the non-gouramis?

I'm not sure. If he doesn't harass the female too much she'd be OK with him. I always kept mine as a m/f pair and the males didn't bother the females very much. But your Fork sounds as though he wants to breed constantly.......

How is he with the female when he has eggs to guard? Does he keep her pinned in a corner, or is that just the non-gouramis?
He pins her too. He gets quite frantic.

You may have to treat Fork like a male betta - a tank on his own and introduce the female just for spawning.

I have to admit none of the males I've kept over the years have been like this, but all fish are different.

You may have to treat Fork like a male betta - a tank on his own and introduce the female just for spawning.

I have to admit none of the males I've kept over the years have been like this, but all fish are different.
I read your mind! At present Fork is in the tank that has the breeder box and first fry. He isn't happy, but at least the main tank has perked up. I transferred the ceramic media to the other filter with Fork but that leaves the main tank a bit short so I'll be monitoring the parameters closely and ready to change water again later whatever.

So, Fork and Socket have moved to their very own, brand new 70l (tank 4 including my planted bowl - MTS has struck). There is a system of holes and caves for Socket to hide, plus water sprite and planted plants for hiding too. It is working well.

They had produced eggs in the breeder tank (3rd brood so far) but I left them behind and the filter has dealt with them.

This has left loads of space for the peacock gudgeons who are making full use of it. Since I removed the heater and its vents Hector has been despondent, but now he has adopted a new cave. None of the females are interested though. I'd like to see how he responds to fatherhood as if he isn't too aggressive I may add some tetras, but AqAdvisor doesn't recommend that if the male peacock gets too aggressive and territorial.

Two of the females, Florence and ZsaZsa, keep sparring but no harm done.

Interestingly, the water spangles are all pale or yellowing and I suspect the lighting is to blame. Maybe they are being bleached or scorched by it?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back