First tank, Superfish 80l

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
He's just behaving like a typical male honey gourami. He knows his fry are there somewhere, he just can't find them. Fish communicate by chemical signals and the fry's signals will be in the whole tank water. The dilemma is what to do. There is no other tank they can be moved to to get them out of the male's tank; and if you let them out of the box they'll be eaten.

I know these are your first fish and your first fry, but I think I would let them out of the box. Then get a small nursery tank. If you fill it with floating plants you won't need a cycled filter, and you'll be able to move the next lot of eggs/fry into that.

He's just behaving like a typical male honey gourami. He knows his fry are there somewhere, he just can't find them. Fish communicate by chemical signals and the fry's signals will be in the whole tank water. The dilemma is what to do. There is no other tank they can be moved to to get them out of the male's tank; and if you let them out of the box they'll be eaten.

I know these are your first fish and your first fry, but I think I would let them out of the box. Then get a small nursery tank. If you fill it with floating plants you won't need a cycled filter, and you'll be able to move the next lot of eggs/fry into that.
I know you're right :( . My spare tank has started to cycle (yesterday) but only has a few Salvinia in it. I could move more across if you think that'd be enough? If not, I'll set them free....

I hadn't realised you could use the other tank you have mentioned before !
With just fry, you won't need as many plants as if they were adult fish, and the plants will grow as the fry grow. I'd try them in the spare tank, move over more salvinia if the main tank can spare them, and keep an eye on the ammonia & nitrite levels till you are sure the salvinia is doing its job.
You'll need food for the fry once they become free swimming. Colin_T's thread has suggestion for food

That's brilliant! I'll do it now. I have liquifry in for feeding already but I'll read Colin's article to see if I should be using something different.

I've used liquifry before. When I put the liquifry straight into the tank, the drops stayed as a drop and fell straight to the bottom of the tank. I found the best way was to put a bit of tank water in a small container and add the drops to that, then stir. Use that to feed the fry. Mixing it with a bit of water first dispersed the drop.
I also used a pipette to place it right in front of the fry.

Thanks for the tips. At present I've kept them all in the breeding box within the new tank as I saw a loose one disappear into what is my very gentlest filter :( . This way feeding them will be easier too. When they're stronger I'll set them free in the tank.

Fork still hasn't calmed down yet, but 14 fry (my daughter counted them - I could only see 3!) have been left behind in the tank. I'm removing them to the breeding box and tank.

Fork still hasn't calmed down yet, but 14 fry (my daughter counted them - I could only see 3!) have been left behind in the tank. I'm removing them to the breeding box and tank.
can we see a picture?

can we see a picture?
They are just too tiny at the moment :( . I can barely see them and I don't have a microscope either. They are less than 1mm as they fit through the breeding box slits, hence using stocking material to cover them. My macro lens would probably show no more that a black tadpole shape. When they are bigger I'll take one :).

Have a look at this video : breeder has been gobsmacked discovering juveniles that male had hidden for 2 months 😲
Also some Danio rerio in thank, she removed later..

I had forgotten about this photo. The black smudge in the square is a honey gourami fry. The plants are salvinia and duckweed to give you some idea of its size.

honey gourami fry.JPG

The fry aren't looking too good over in my spare tank, but then my eyesight isn't so great so maybe there are lots hiding in the Salvinia. I keep feeding them, but initially my heater was lousy and I think things were a bit too cool for them. Still, I have nowhere to place any juveniles so it is probably best if only a few survive :confused: .

Fork is still being mean to the peacocks and his mate now. And she is chasing the peacocks too. I do hope they settle soon now the fry have gone! Hmm. I thought aquaria were relaxing 😌. I'm not so sure about this one!

Things have finally settled in the tank! This morning Fork was still bullying a little, much less than he had been. Now, he's decided he wants more fry and is back to displaying to Socket. If they spawn again I'll have to let nature take its course this time. The other fry are still occupying tank 2 and growing incrementally.

I've entered the TOTM competition with this tank. I'm pleased with how it is going so far, and the fish seem to like it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back