First tank, Superfish 80l

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sunnyspots

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've wanted an aquarium for many years, and got much more serious last year but had nowhere to put one of a reasonable size. Since then I have moved house and have decided to have one in place of a woodburner (since they are so environmentally unfriendly). It won't keep me warm but I'll have something to watch all year round!

Anyway, she has been filled and decorated a little but I had no ammonia to start cycling 'til now. I have some concerns about possible heavy metals from my hot tank and/or header tank in this '50s/60's house after I'd used some warm water to fill her (it seems I have decided she is a female aquarium!) so once my next plants arrive in the post I shall change the water, add more decor while I can reach in easily, and continue cycling once she is refilled.

At present she looks like this: (there are some Alternanthera pretending to be floating plants because they slipped out of the substrate)

Attachments

• 20210523_183637.jpg
    20210523_183637.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 153
Good luck and enjoy! What sort of ideas do you have going forward with it? Any other plants? What fish are you thinking?

Good luck and enjoy! What sort of ideas do you have going forward with it? Any other plants? What fish are you thinking?
Well, I have just had Sagittaria subulata, Eriocaulon cinereum and Taxiphyllium barbieri delivered. As for fish, whatever will suit the final tank parameters I think. I'd like a dwarf gourami but appreciate they have health issues.

I've removed 3 snails so far and am starting to think seriously about fish for when the time comes. I would really like a dwarf gourami and a peacock gudgeon, both of which, I gather, should be OK as singletons. Then 6 pearl danios will liven the place up! I hope my final water parameters suit these.

I've had a hiatus while cycling the tank and during this time bought more plants and decor. The water has been quite tannin stained, which I rather like, but it has interfered with some of the results from testing kits I've tried. I had to do a large water change of 75 - 80% to try to kick start the cycling which seemed to have stalled, and then added more bicarb to push my KH back up from its paltry level of 2. Today was my first day of clear results, 0, 0! But it was over 48hrs so I'm not in the clear yet.
I've decided I'll get a pair honey gourami, original colouring if possible, and 1 male peacock gudgeon with 2 females. It'll be a conservative number of fish for the tank size but that'll make it easier for me to keep the parameters stable. My very soft water bothers me because of the risk of pH crashes, so anything I can do to reduce the bioload will be helpful.

Attachments

• 20210618_163724.jpg
    20210618_163724.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 71
Well, I'm all sorted now with all 5 fish in place as planned (I hadn't cycled a QT so have risked putting both groups in together). They all seem happy - exploring everywhere and tasting things. My favourite is the female gourami, Socket, but the peacocks are interesting and I'm starting to distinguish them, each from the others.

Well, I'm all sorted now with all 5 fish in place as planned (I hadn't cycled a QT so have risked putting both groups in together). They all seem happy - exploring everywhere and tasting things. My favourite is the female gourami, Socket, but the peacocks are interesting and I'm starting to distinguish them, each from the others.
ooh! Do you have a picture?

When I had peacock gudgeons, they preferred tight spaces to spawn in. So tight that I often wonder how both of them managed to fit in at the same time. You may find yours ignore that cave and spawn in a tiny gap under the edge of some decor!

When I had peacock gudgeons, they preferred tight spaces to spawn in. So tight that I often wonder how both of them managed to fit in at the same time. You may find yours ignore that cave and spawn in a tiny gap under the edge of some decor!
I wouldn't be surprised! I didn't realise how enormous it was until it arrived in the post. They've been in for a nose around, and the male showed a little interest in enticing a female in. Once. I think the cave will just be decorative for now until my next and bigger tank.

I actually had to take back one of the gouramis as, following on from the discussion about sexing them, I found I'd been given 2 males. I bought an extra peacock female while I was there as one of the others is way to tiny to sex yet. So now I have 2 honey gouramis and 4 peacock gudgeon gobies! They are all getting on pretty well so far. :)

I spoke too soon. 1 gourami is in full breeding colours. There is no doubt he is male. The new one has fins that also look male again to me but I was hopeful when the true male followed it around with apparent interest. However, that morphed into chest displays and frank chasing. I tried @Avel1896 s suggestion of showing them their reflections. True male flared and showed his chest. The other did nothing. I am none the wiser except the other is also turning orange. Male??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back