First Tank Juwel 125

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Like I said, I didn't mean to be rude...I understand what it's like to be new and I hope I wasn't too snappy. I just understand that it can be quite frustrating to offer advice to someone and feel like it's been ignored because they haven't followed through on their end!
A lot of people are of the opinion that trusting LFS advice wholeheartedly is a sketchy business...there are some real gems out there but for the most part they just want to sell you fish! Your best bet is to listen to the advice of the experts on here in regards to your stock, so you can avoid the kind of mistakes your LFS has unfortunately led you to. :/

well i did liston all i asked them for was small fhas that are active :( ill take the gaint danios back are the others ok?

The leopard plec must go back as that's almost certainly a Gibbiceps that can grow to two feet :crazy:
Personally I'd take the rainbows and and the 'other fish that are silver with black markings' back as well.

Just as a guideline for you, I have a tank thats almost identical in size to yours and it's got 10 tiger barbs, 5 zebra loach and a clown plec in it, and that's fully stocked.

Don't listen the people in LFSs; look at the fish and then come on the internet before you buy them and look them up yourself; it's the only way...

#71###ed retarded fish shop i trade my pleco for a bigger fking pleco on there recomendation

ok what size tank will i be looking at to run the setup i got now ?

cos as much as i know the danios need to go back they are awesome fish so active

#71###ed retarded fish shop i trade my pleco for a bigger fking pleco on there recomendation
Yeah, I know; it's shocking the 'advice' some shops give out, and I'm sorry if it seems like we've been having a go 'cos it sounds like you've tried to do your best, so this isn't your fault.

ok what size tank will i be looking at to run the setup i got now ?
If you get rid of the plec but keep all the rest (with a caveat that we would need to identify your 'other barbs with the black markings'), a 48 x 15 x 18" would be perfect. If you wanted to keep the plec you'd need a 6 x 2 x 2' :hey:

cos as much as i know the danios need to go back they are awesome fish so active
All danios are like that though; you could easily swap them for leopard/zebra danios.

thanks for the advice guys i decided not to get the fish that would outgrow my tank i got fish that could grow to there full size in my tank this is what i got

went out today and got my self
2 giant danios
3 boesmani rainbow fish
3 odessa barbs
3 other fish that are silver with back marking coulpe of blochy stripes and spots that grow to about 4 inch look like sharks when bigger hehe cant remeber name some sort of barb though

so now my tank has in it these +
8 tiger barbs
1 platie
2 guppys
1 pleco

tested tank 7 hours after adding

amonnia .25
nitrate .25
nitrates 20ppm

water change due tomorrow

reading semm ok shows that the fillter is working

wil test daily

That's quite a bad stocking as people have said. Never listen to what a lfs says, money comes before the fish to those. Best bet is to go and have a look at what you like in the shop, come back and list what you want and then people will help you out with what is suitable and you can adapt the stocking from there.

Ammonia and nitrIte of 0.25 is not really good. I've had my tank with readings of 0 for both and fish behaving as if they have nitrite poisoning, big water change and the fish was happy again. They should always be unable to detect for healthy fish.

I'd suggest taking back the plec for something like a bulldog or bristlenose that will stay small, swap the giant danios for a group of 6 zebra danios and then the
8 tiger barbs
1 platie
2 guppys

That's sounds fully stocked to me

Personally i would take back the pleco, boesmani rainbows and the giant danios, then up the odessa barbs to 6 and consider your tank stocked.

You should really have a google on each fish type, plenty of pages come up about every fishout there. Take a good read of several of them and it will all become a lot more simples :)

With an ammonia reading of 0.25 your fish will be able to tolerate the water, however, any ammonia reading is a signal for a water change, so get into doing nightly changes and the tank will sort itself, out, remember to dechlorinate the water.

Personally i would take back the pleco, boesmani rainbows and the giant danios, then up the odessa barbs to 6 and consider your tank stocked.

You should really have a google on each fish type, plenty of pages come up about every fishout there. Take a good read of several of them and it will all become a lot more simples :)

With an ammonia reading of 0.25 your fish will be able to tolerate the water, however, any ammonia reading is a signal for a water change, so get into doing nightly changes and the tank will sort itself, out, remember to dechlorinate the water.

sounds like a plan cant get there today so will be monday ><
yes water changed are being done at 20% daily and 50% eveyr 3 days at the moment
the other barbs i got that i couldnt idetify i have figured out they are Puntius arulius they are only 1 inch at the moment but i think tehy will grow to big also

thanks for replys and advice allways welcome

and yeah in future i will not trust what a fish shop says

didnt really think they would give me really bad advice cos i wasnt like asking for only them fish i asked for small fish so they was selling me fish what ever the case :(

Puntius arulius grow to about 4 inches, maybe a little more, depends on the size of the tank. If you like them you could possibly keep them a few years, just be aware they are quite lively fish and a bigger tank is recommended. They will school with the other barbs you have to some degree, normally you would have 6+. see how you go with those imo. by the time they get too big you should have a wealth of fish knowledge to know what to do :)

ok will do i really like these danios there so cool they are only about a inch and a half at the moment i know they will grow big so i think im just gunna go out and buy a bigger take prob a juwel 240 rio or 260 vision

so i can keep 6 of them hehe only got 2 at the moment they seem happy and are swiming about with the tigers

thanks again guys pleco will go back :)

The other problem (which I can't see anyone having pointed out yet - but maybe they have) is that all of your new fish are schooling, which means "keep them in groups of 6+".

I also really like giant danios too, and I do keep them myself (I have some which are about 5-6 years old now).. my lot really are so active that they need at least a 4ft tank!

Also, another option for a decent sized tank is the Fluval Roma 240.

+1

I have to say the 90L roma im setting up at the moment is a really tidy piece of kit. It was 2nd hand for £60 on ebay and im rather pleased with the design. My main tank is a Juwel 240 and with all the cuts for the external filter its made it quite messy, and the beech surround isnt very stylish (in my opinion).

hey guys thanks for all the cool advice i love that fluval tank defo on the cards if anyones got one they wanna sell let me know :)
im south east uk

also just an update on the 125
got a new fillter pump in its the juwel 1000 pump alot bigger than the orginal one so will help with my high stocking
giant danios have been returned :( have not added any thing in there place
pleco exchanged for a bristle nose peleco
kept the rest for now

like i say fillter updated testing daily water changeing when ammiona is present adding 5 new plants from a diffrent private lfs i decided to go to alot more helpfull than pets at home :p

to help with getting oxigen into the tank got a tetra air pump running a air curtan and a mineral sand stone so 2 sorces of air in the tank

so doing the best i can to help with the high stocking at the moment till i get the bigger tank in a month or so or when i find one for sale

also got some questions guys if you could help me

these plants come in pots i have never added plants to a tank before how do i go about it do i put them in there in the pots or out of the pots ect

next question i got a nice bit of bog wood i found at the lfs but it is not treated been left ouside
what do i need to do before adding it to the tank they said boil it but its massive lol i aint got a pot big enouth

sorry these are questions i should have asked the lfs but with the history ive had with them id rather ask you guys :p

thanks again guys

picture coming soon!

Good on you for returning the danios; you're startin to make some good decisions now :good:

The plants need to come out of the pots.

The bogwood; you can put it in the bath and soak it in really hot water for a day or two; replace the hot water every day.

I generally prepare bogwood by scrubbing it under the tap and then placing it in the tank. As above, soak to remove tannins if you do not like the look of them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back