First Tank Help needed please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aitch B

Reaction score
Good evening everyone this is my first ever tank. I went for a juwel primo 70 with eco complete as the substrate. I've used beneficial bacteria to start fishless cycle and my current readings for day 2 are

AMMONIA 0.50ppm
NITRITE 0.50ppm
NITRATE 5-10ppm
PH 7.2
HIGH RANGE PH 7.4

My question is when my levels are stable should I do a small water change, remove debris from filter and wait before adding a few fish?

PXL_20210731_151501659.jpg

Regards
Harry

Rule of thumb is to do a water change once a month. 25 percent or 50 percent every 2 months. someone may correct me on this. Even if levels are normal it helps reduce levels getting higher and prevents added chemcials into water. prevention is always best. start right end healthy. ^-^

Edit I have been corrected 50 percent weekly.

Last edited:
Good evening everyone this is my first ever tank. I went for a juwel primo 70 with eco complete as the substrate. I've used beneficial bacteria to start fishless cycle and my current readings for day 2 are

AMMONIA 0.50ppm
NITRITE 0.50ppm
NITRATE 5-10ppm
PH 7.2
HIGH RANGE PH 7.4

My question is when my levels are stable should I do a small water change, remove debris from filter and wait before adding a few fish?

View attachment 140708

Regards
Harry
Hi Harry...what sort of rock is that?

After the tank has cycled (around 4-6 weeks) you do a huge (80-90%) water change to dilute nutrients and give the fish a clean tank to live in. After you have done the huge water change (using dechlorinated water), you wait a couple of days and then add the fish.

You can add all the fish at once to a cycled tank.

-------------------
Filters should be cleaned at least once a month. However, do not clean the filter for the first 6 weeks, or for at least 2 weeks after the filter has cycled. This allows the beneficial bacteria a chance to establish itself on the media and there will be less chance of it coming off when you clean the filter.

When you do clean a filter, wash the media/ material in a bucket of tank water. When the media is clean, put it in the tank and tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn. Wash the impellor and filter case under tap water, then put it back together and get it going.

After the tank has cycled (around 4-6 weeks) you do a huge (80-90%) water change to dilute nutrients and give the fish a clean tank to live in. After you have done the huge water change (using dechlorinated water), you wait a couple of days and then add the fish.

You can add all the fish at once to a cycled tank.

-------------------
Filters should be cleaned at least once a month. However, do not clean the filter for the first 6 weeks, or for at least 2 weeks after the filter has cycled. This allows the beneficial bacteria a chance to establish itself on the media and there will be less chance of it coming off when you clean the filter.

When you do clean a filter, wash the media/ material in a bucket of tank water. When the media is clean, put it in the tank and tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn. Wash the impellor and filter case under tap water, then put it back together and get it going.
Ok thanks for your help!

Rule of thumb is to do a water change once a month. 25 percent or 50 percent every 2 months. someone may correct me on this. Even if levels are normal it helps reduce levels getting higher and prevents added chemcials into water. prevention is always best. start right end healthy. ^-^
Hmmmmmm.
50% weekly is more up to date thinking.

Hmmmmmm.
50% weekly is more up to date thinking.

This has been discussed in another thread :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back