First Tank Any Advise And Tips?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

conde180711

Reaction score
Hi,
Got my first tank up and running last night and planted as thats the way i want to go with it. Its a 100l tank with fluval 3 plus filter and the heater set to 24 degrees. The substrate is a complete planting one. Any advise on how i proceed with things from here with regards to cycling etc would be greatly appreciated or any comments on what i have done so far good or bad.
Many thanks
Tom

Definitely read what Saw linked, and follow that. You'll need to get a liquid test kit (API is a popular brand) and some ammonia. THIS has some info on where to find the ammonia you want.

Be sure to have patience. It may seem confusing but people here can help you with any questions you may have and your fish will be much better off!

welcomeani.gif
to TFF, btw!

do you want stocking advice? if so you will need to specify ph and tank dimensions will help

I second what ninj said, get a testkit and have patience!  Mine took over 30 days!  Make sure to follow the instructions in the cycling link and re-read it many times...  Once you list your tank and water specs we will be able to give you recommendations on stocking...

And
welcomeani.gif
!

There ought to be a - beginner fish keeper syndrome - article that talks about how a newbie will rush into things before they have an understanding of how it all works.  A list of do's and don'ts, the how to cycle comes later.   I think there should be two "Must Reads"  First an intro to fish keeping with an emphasis on the newbie and protecting him from himself and Secondly, how it all works with step by step instructions.  Maybe even a third section for maintenance tips.

Make sure you have test kits for the cycle. It may seem confusing at first, but it's really not, even I can understand it, and I'm not as old as you think.

EDIT* I forgot: Welcome to TFF 
welcomeani.gif

Welcome to tff. Id say what saw linked is pretty much all you need to know

Welcome :)

Here is a fantastic link to a wide choice of easy plants someone posted on here that I found incredibly helpful in choosing mine.

http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/difficulty/easy.aspx

Number one priority though, get fishless cycled. As you can see there's lots of help and advice when you ask for it on here :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back