First plants arrived today...with hitchhikers. Are they good or bad?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ClownLurch

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Iā€™m in U.K. First tank since 1990s. very inexperienced in this stuff.
Amazon frog bit and dwarf water lettuce arrived in post today in separate locbags. Both fine but one has about 20 tiny green insects approx 2mm stowing away. Iā€™ve put the plants in separate containers and exiled the stowaway one to the shed window ledge for the moment. The surviving ones have settled themselves on the leaves floating on the surface. Fish less cycle starts tomorrow....I hope.
RO altered Freshwater btw.

My questions are:
What are they?
Do I want these insects in my tank?
Are they beneficial either with cycle or as future fish food? If either do I put them in straight away after filling tank or should I keep them in shed until adding fish? (WCMM, Cories, Honey Gourami plus eventually).
If I donā€™t want them will a diluted bleach dip then thorough rinsing get rid of them?
thanks in advance......must get back to decorating...

Awwwh man pictures from me? That could take months!
Bought on eBay from London based seller. Iā€™ll not take any chances with them I think.
Will a diluted bleach wash dip kill em off then a thourough rinse keep the plants safe?

They are probably a type of aphid and nothing to worry about. Most insects are edible and fish like them.

I recall the planted tank columnist in TFH advising more than once that any "dip" that is strong enough to kill algae or snails or similar will harm the plant to some extent. I have never done this. Leave the plants in the tank(s), with good lighting and a nutrient supplement to get them going. Many of these critters will get eaten by fish.

Thank you all.
Iā€™ll leave em and add em to the tank when it gets filled tomorrow. They look fully grown at 2-3mm. They seem to have no interest in leaving the floating plants yet so I hope theyd stay confined in the tank. Mrs Lurch is a fanatical (dry) Gardner and she thinks their harmless.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back