First live plant...

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
200.gif

...Just keep an eye on your pH. I think you'll be fine. Antler is just bone. You're right; all the other stuff is in the velvet, which comes off before the rut. If I ever do my dream Wyoming Foothills biotope, I have an entire deer skull I plan on putting in! ☠️

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Reaction score
Test your KH as well... That will determine how easily your PH shifts.

OP
OP
jaylach

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Test your KH as well... That will determine how easily your PH shifts.
I still need to find a test kit for that. My API Master Kit does not include.

I boiled the antler last night in about a gallon of water to sterilize and let it sit overnight. Out of curiosity I did a PH test on the water today and it was off the charts. Granted I would think that boiling would leech a lot more calcium than normal and it was only about a gallon of water. I think I'll put the antler in the tank with nothing on it and monitor the PH daily to see if the PH climbs.

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Reaction score
I still need to find a test kit for that. My API Master Kit does not include.

I boiled the antler last night in about a gallon of water to sterilize and let it sit overnight. Out of curiosity I did a PH test on the water today and it was off the charts. Granted I would think that boiling would leech a lot more calcium than normal and it was only about a gallon of water. I think I'll put the antler in the tank with nothing on it and monitor the PH daily to see if the PH climbs.
Probably a good idea... If it goes up too much remove it

Most reactions

trending

Members online