First Fish Tiger Barb And Burma Gold Ring Danio

blendingshadow

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So finally after a bit of waiting got my first fish, 4x tiger barbs and 4x burma gold ring danio. Being new to this and new fish I am looking for info and wondering about their behaviour.

They are schooling in their own groups. The danio seem to be hanging out near one side of the tank and what could only really be described as shimmering up the glass as it's quite reflective. Are they looking for more of their own kind? I checked the heater and it's admittedly near but not at the bottom of their ideal. When I put my hand behind the glass the disperse into the water. I am curious as to what they are doing.

Also the tiger barbs are hiding under a huge piece of drift wood in their group and not doing much between some densely planted floor under the driftwood. There are 4 of them and I noticed them either fighting or playing and wondering whether there needs to be more of them and or if something is wrong if they're "hiding" in the plants, under the driftwood.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

- Nic

Hi mate. when tiger barbs are kept in small numbers they can get very insicure and nippy to there own kind and there tank mates. the best way to settle them is to up there numbers. your tiger barbs and danios both need to be kept with at least 10 of there own kind,which is why yours are acting strange. both fish can live betwween 72 and 79 although the danios can take it lower. i think 75 would be a goos temp. how big is your tank as ideally tiger barbs should be kept in a 250l to accomidTE there temperament and numbers they need to be kept in.

Hi mate. when tiger barbs are kept in small numbers they can get very insicure and nippy to there own kind and there tank mates. the best way to settle them is to up there numbers. your tiger barbs and danios both need to be kept with at least 10 of there own kind,which is why yours are acting strange. both fish can live betwween 72 and 79 although the danios can take it lower. i think 75 would be a goos temp. how big is your tank as ideally tiger barbs should be kept in a 250l to accomidTE there temperament and numbers they need to be kept in.

Cheers for the reply. I have a 100L tank and thought the tiger barbs would be alright with 4 as it's a new tank and just left 'new tank syndrome' I thought it might be best to not over stock the tank straight away. Would it be worth getting more?

Any ideas on what the danios are up too by 'dancing/ shimmering' up the side of the reflective tank?

Cheers

i dont no exactly what it is to be honest but i would bet my life savings that the reason they are doing it is because they need more of there own kind. its clever not to overload your new tank straight away but to be honest mate a 100l isnt really big enough to keep tiger barbs. its perfect for the danios and a whole load of other stuff but the tiger barbs do need more space im afraid

Given that there's only 4 tiger barbs and they are dancing in front of the reflective screen I think we're right. Need more in there danio wise.

Cheers for your help. Much appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back