First feed...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Danny Boy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've just added my first fish to the tank...

4 guppies and an otto.

The otto seems really happy...poodling around and hoovering up the bottom of the tank.

The guppies are schooling near the top of the tank, I'm wondering if they're confused as the lights are off.

When should I first feed my new friends?

:)

Also, I've had a slightly nitrite and ammonia spike since they've gone in...

pH 8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 10

Anything to be worried about there?

Just keep up with regular partial water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite zero. Also you may want to add more ottos at some point as they like to live in groups of 3 +. Once the ottos run out of algae you can try feeding them cucumber, just cut a slice off, poke a plant weight through and drop it in.

Emma

I'd give them a few hours to settle in, and then maybe feed them tonight? You can always put a little food in (Just for a test), and see if they go for it. If they don't, you can try in the morning. Though mine are usually starving! And I assume you know Otos won't eat flake foods or anything, and need algae, and veggies and such? :)

Also, on your water, I'd do a water change in a bit, and try to get the ammonia and nitrite to 0, because Guppies are pretty sensitive these days to those kinds of things.

Best of luck with your new fish! :D

Yes, get your Ammonia and Nitrite down... Looks like your tank is begginning it's cycle.
You could try adding some Stress Zyme to speed up the cycle. :nod:
No, Shayla, your fish are like "I'm DYING! Won't somebody take pity on me and feed me!!".....

And you've already fed them like 10 minutes ago. :lol:
Good luck with your fish, Danny boy, and keep a very close eye on the Ammonia and Nitrites... Take some steps to reduce them if you can. :)
Robin

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back