First Discus Spawn :d

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seed_Lord

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Came home today to a row of orange eggs, with the female still laying, managed to get a picture male kept getting in the way, bad thing is though i only ordered a spongefilter, hma filter and a syringe for meth blue yesterday so they spawned too soon for me to be able to help them, but i might see how it goes atleast i know they will spawn, this is in water 7-7.5ph and high tds, the tds worries me with the eggs but again ive only just ordered the hma to get rid of nasties, but happy all the same as i know i have a definite pair and will be prepared next time, also need to sort out some bbs, female is blue scorpian snakeskin male is a spotted leopard. Tank has a white algae like stuff on it but havent cleaned it with my cleaners because they where showing signs of breeding didnt want to stress them atall. First attempt at a breed complete novice so happy just to see eggs! Will have the tank environment sorted for the next time and be ready for it. I'm in contact with a guy who knows his stuff whos been helping me with what i need who originally sold me the leopard so hopefully get a nice bunch of baby discus if this spawn goes wrong!

discusspawn.jpg

Good news Mate. If this is the first time that this pair have spawned you will be very lucky if the fry last more than couple of days after they become free swimming. However, what you will very likely find is that the pair will very quickly lay another batch off eggs. It normally takes a new pair 3 of 4 goes at it before they learn how to take care of their fry, so if you do find that this batch don't make it just let them keep at it. I wish you the best of luck, and do keep us all updated.
good.gif

Good news Mate. If this is the first time that this pair have spawned you will be very lucky if the fry last more than couple of days after they become free swimming. However, what you will very likely find is that the pair will very quickly lay another batch off eggs. It normally takes a new pair 3 of 4 goes at it before they learn how to take care of their fry, so if you do find that this batch don't make it just let them keep at it. I wish you the best of luck, and do keep us all updated.
good.gif

Yeah i know im not worried too much if they eat them would be nice if they got it right first time but as i said happy to have a pair, will have water spot on next time aswell.

Ordering a female penang eruption from chens coming on 24th hoping it will pair with my big male turq, should get some interesting crosses from those 2 pairs if they pair up, and thanks mate will keep updated, also trying to keep the parents well fed so they dont munch the eggs, will do the same if they hatch hopefully discourage them eating them!

good.gif

Yeah i know im not worried too much if they eat them would be nice if they got it right first time but as i said happy to have a pair, will have water spot on next time aswell.

Ordering a female penang eruption from chens coming on 24th hoping it will pair with my big male turq, should get some interesting crosses from those 2 pairs if they pair up, and thanks mate will keep updated, also trying to keep the parents well fed so they dont munch the eggs, will do the same if they hatch hopefully discourage them eating them!

I find that leaving the lights on 24hrs for the first 4-5 days helps them a lot, or even leaving the room light on through the night.....so that they can watch their fry. You may also find that when they become 'wigglers' before free swimming that the parents will move them around the tank. So you might look in and think they are gone, but actually the parents have just hidden them
wink.gif

good.gif

I find that leaving the lights on 24hrs for the first 4-5 days helps them a lot, or even leaving the room light on through the night.....so that they can watch their fry. You may also find that when they become 'wigglers' before free swimming that the parents will move them around the tank. So you might look in and think they are gone, but actually the parents have just hidden them
wink.gif

Yeah will do do that, got a small LED clip on light on that tank will be perfect isn't too bright, cheers :good:

Unfortunately they ate the eggs :sick: but i'm picking up a cone and guard during the week and i think my hma filter is at the postie, so will be ready for next time, having a female penang eruption delivered on the 24th im praying she will pair with my big male turq so i have two pair (see what i did there?) and can get some nice combos of discus going, didn't see the point in doing 'pure' bred or whatever because theres too many of them out there hopefully the spotted leopard/blue scorp snake and turq/penang will give me some interesting babbys :lol: if those cross's arn't readily bred don't know if any of the other types are just cross's of these, im pretty new to discus

There's a reason why they aren't often crossed, most the time they end up of poor quality. Id stick with pure strains because.then the.pairs are worth between £150 to £200.

Just experiment and enjoy!

There's a reason why they aren't often crossed, most the time they end up of poor quality. Id stick with pure strains because.then the.pairs are worth between £150 to £200.

Just experiment and enjoy!

Well gonna see what i get, will be interesting to get me started then if i wanna do pures i can fork out 200 quid for a pair :/

Getting The discus to breed ain't the hard part its bringing up the young. You need to be prepared to cull the weaker offspring and divide the remaining ones by size. Also they are slow growing fish and take a while before you can move them on. The problem with offloading your fry when they are ready is that us discus keepers are rather anal and fussy. And with discus poor fish stand out a mile.

Getting The discus to breed ain't the hard part its bringing up the young. You need to be prepared to cull the weaker offspring and divide the remaining ones by size. Also they are slow growing fish and take a while before you can move them on. The problem with offloading your fry when they are ready is that us discus keepers are rather anal and fussy. And with discus poor fish stand out a mile.

Yeah im gonna cull no probs with that, whats a good method for putting them to sleep? dont wanna go hitting anything with a brick. Know what to look out for in a poor discus eyes big for body, miss shapen, dodgey fins etc

There's a.few methods including clove oil which puts them to sleep, wracking them with something blunt does it instantly but is a bit personal, even freezing them in a tub works well as it slows their metabolism and sends them into a sleep before they die.

What size tank are you goin to raise the fry in?

Another good way to cull fry is feed the fry you notice early on before they are too big, feed to another fish, it is nature so no guilt about it. I know a fish tank isn't nature but if they had fry in tank with other fish, same scenario

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back