first dead fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Vbetta56

Reaction score
My betta Finn died today, and i want to give him a proper way out any suggestions or what i do with the tank now hes dead do i do a water change??

why water change if hes dead and hes the only fish? other fish? pictures so we can identify?
fish die sometimes, i am sorry for your loss, the best way is to identify why and be more cautios next time.
we need
ph
gh
ammonia
nitrite
nitrATE
how oftern you do water changes
what chemicals you use
what he looked like when he died

(other people have more stuff to say im sure)

why water change if hes dead and hes the only fish? other fish? pictures so we can identify?
fish die sometimes, i am sorry for your loss, the best way is to identify why and be more cautios next time.
we need
ph
gh
ammonia
nitrite
nitrATE
how oftern you do water changes
what chemicals you use
what he looked like when he died

(other people have more stuff to say im sure)
I intend to get another fish sometime maybe when i find out what happened to finn i dont want this to happen again nitrite 0 nitrate 5.0 ammonia 0 ph7.5 i did water changed every week exactly when he died he had swim bladder and was at the bottom with clouded over eyes and his colour was faded. Thanks

I intend to get another fish sometime maybe when i find out what happened to finn i dont want this to happen again nitrite 0 nitrate 5.0 ammonia 0 ph7.5 i did water changed every week exactly when he died he had swim bladder and was at the bottom with clouded over eyes and his colour was faded. Thanks
WOW did you test today??????? ammonia is verrry high. we need a test from when he was alive. thanks. if ammonia is above 0 it is bad. did you cycle tank? the ph is also high for a betta. what is the gh(hardness)\

EDIT: Yes i saw that ammonia was 0 oof

Last edited:
the ammonia is high maybe because he died and decomposed today. water tests back then show normal water; tank size? any live plants?
my bad ammonia is not high it is just nitrate

Last edited:
ok.ouch i read nitrate as ammonia my bad lol. tank size? and all the other questions in my first messages?
sorry ik youre trying to help, tank is 5.5 gallons (he was alone) and tbh im not sure about the hardness of the water? No living plants

Sorry for your loss.
A nice send off might be to bury him in the garden, or in a pot with a nice houseplant.
Do a large water change with general maintenance (clean glass, substrate, filter) before adding a new fish. Try and preserve the beneficial bacteria by gently swishing filter sponge in old tank water.

Sorry for your loss.
A nice send off might be to bury him in the garden, or in a pot with a nice houseplant.
Do a large water change with general maintenance (clean glass, substrate, filter) before adding a new fish. Try and preserve the beneficial bacteria by gently swishing filter sponge in old tank water.
Thank you, i’ll make sure to do that and decide on a burial

Every time I have a fish die I do a big water change. No real reason except it just seems to be thing to do with me. I put the deceased in my garden or in a houseplant if they're small. I used to dry them and keep them but my wife got a little freaked about that when she saw it.

Every time I have a fish die I do a big water change. No real reason except it just seems to be thing to do with me. I put the deceased in my garden or in a houseplant if they're small. I used to dry them and keep them but my wife got a little freaked about that when she saw it.
I did a big water change and i think i’ll be burying him tomorrow thanks for the advice :)

How long did you have him for?
If he was a couple of years old, he might have just died from old age or complications associated with being an older fish.

If a fish dies, it's a good idea to do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Clean the filter too and wipe the inside of the tank down. This dilutes any disease organisms in the water.

However, if there is only one fish and it dies, wash the tank out with tap water and start again. You can wash the filter out in dechlorinated water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it goes in the tank.

How long did you have him for?
If he was a couple of years old, he might have just died from old age or complications associated with being an older fish.

If a fish dies, it's a good idea to do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Clean the filter too and wipe the inside of the tank down. This dilutes any disease organisms in the water.

However, if there is only one fish and it dies, wash the tank out with tap water and start again. You can wash the filter out in dechlorinated water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it goes in the tank.
I have had him around a year but no clue how old he was when i purchased him ive tested and everything seems to be doing okay, any idea how long i should wait before getting a new fish? Thanks for the help

When you feel you are ready. Sorry for your loss.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back