First Betta Rescue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bymauldin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm not sure if any of you read my post in Tropical Chit Chat a couple of days ago about my recent LFS Horror story. If not then I'm including a link incase you want background info....http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=185908
Anyway, I went back today to get the betta that I was referring to. Luckily, it was still alive! When I told the lady that I wanted to buy him she looked at me a couple of times, then looked at the fish a couple of times. She said "I believe that's a female betta." I said "No ma'am that's a male. The other fish in the tank have just biten most of his tail off." She then said "Well, I believe you're right. He'll be okay though." I asked the manager for half off and he obliged. Also, saying "I believe he'll be okay though."
Well, anyway, I got him home. He's in his bowl now and he's swimming around all over the place. He was acting like he was starving so I fed him and he readily accepted it. I have a question though...most of his fins have been torn off and he looks pretty ragid. He's a little swollen around his face. What do I need to do for him? Should I be adding aquarium salt or marine salt to his tank to help fight off infection? What about Bettafix? Also, if anyone has a picture of "Pop Eye" then I'd like to see it. I don't necessarily think he has it. It's just hard to tell since his face appears a little swollen.

I'm including a pic! (not a very good one though)

IMG_1204.jpg

BTW, his name is "Rehab" :D

:fish:

Poor little guy!! He's adorable though! The swollen face sounds like he probably has a bacterial infection. I got a male once (long time ago) whos face was so swollen he could barely open his eyes. My recommendation would be to treat him with aquarium salt (1/2 tsp/gallon) and a broad spectrum antibiotic such as tetracycline. Also once a day take a small towel or washcloth run it under hot water ring it out and place it over his bowl until it gets cold, the steam helps him breath easier. Once his face isn't swollen anymore, then you can worry about his fins, usually just clean water and salt will heal fins right up. Congrats on the rescue! I'm sure he's thrilled to be with you!!

aww the poor thing.i wouldnt be able to leave the poor boy there either. cute name lol, suites him well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back