First attempt at a planted aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sarabarton76

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all. I only joined recently, having a first freshwater tank since Christmas. I've found (common to lots of people here I'm guessing) that I've rapidly gone down a wormhole. I've lurked, and I've read. I've researched and tinkered. So I have very rapidly realised my 65l tank isn't really big enough to meet my ambitions or those of my 5 year old & have got myself a 200l Juwel Lido in the only other bit of viable space there is in my lounge!

I've decided to plant it and hopefully can do a silent cycle - so definitely need your help!! I've befriended my local aquatics shop too so should have local advice if needed.

So here we go. I already know I've not got the background on properly - I'm not too bothered by this and will have another look at some point - I apologise to those who will find it irritating. I have a little sand on the surface as my 5 year old didn't like a black base - not sure I cleaned it fully so slightly cloudy but I'm not stressed.

Some of the planting is pretty skin of my teeth but its all stayed down so planning on disturbing nothing at all for as long as possible.

Substrate is Caribsea eco complete, then some aquarium sand
60cm Bogwood in the middle, then a surprise box and some of the quick growers recommended in here

I believe the deal is to post photos and then do weekly until someone with more expertise than I have agrees there is visible growth? Planning to put our mollies in first and then add a few more, before also adding some guppies

Attachments

• 20210313_145636.jpg
    20210313_145636.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 20210313_145625.jpg
    20210313_145625.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 20210313_145622.jpg
    20210313_145622.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 149
It looks really good, and I like the layout! More than likely, the sand will end up on the bottom and the gravel on top. And don't forget to add root tabs! Although the Eco Complete is soaked in a fertilizer bath, the gravel itself is inert, and you will need to add root tabs to keep your plants looking great.

Ah hadn't realised that, thought it had some fertilizer in it - I will do! Ive also got liquid plant food - do I need both? Thanks so much for your input :)

The sand is purely a nod to my daughter's wishes. Our 65l started out with pink substrate and a multicoloured castle and bridge which miraculously disappeared over the course of a few weeks to a sandy bottom, and plants. Its already heading south!! I'm still pretending I'm doing this for her, not me ha ha!!

Ah hadn't realised that, thought it had some fertilizer in it - I will do! Ive also got liquid plant food - do I need both? Thanks so much for your input :)

The sand is purely a nod to my daughter's wishes. Our 65l started out with pink substrate and a multicoloured castle and bridge which miraculously disappeared over the course of a few weeks to a sandy bottom, and plants. Its already heading south!! I'm still pretending I'm doing this for her, not me ha ha!!
It is in a fertilizer bath in bag(the water/dust), but that will not last super long. The plants will grow slower without root tabs (I think) but I think it depends on the specific plant?

It is in a fertilizer bath in bag(the water/dust), but that will not last super long. The plants will grow slower without root tabs (I think) but I think it depends on the specific plant?
Brill. I want a couple of amazon swords at the back I think so probably popping to the fish store tomorrow, I will get some. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. One thing about backgrounds and planted tanks. If your planted tank turns out like mine then the background will be mute. Here are a couple of pictures of my 55-gallon one showing the background before I started setting up the tank. The second picture is several months later after the plants got huge and covered up the background.

55-ga;;pm wotj Background only.jpg55-gallon and plants over growing background.jpg

Welcome to the forum. One thing about backgrounds and planted tanks. If your planted tank turns out like mine then the background will be mute. Here are a couple of pictures of my 55-gallon one showing the background before I started setting up the tank. The second picture is several months later after the plants got huge and covered up the background.

View attachment 131614View attachment 131615
That's why I'm not stressed at how badly I have applied it! It looks quite tall now and it's hard to imagine the gap being filled, but I'm sure little of it will be seen. The background I bought doesn't fit to the top even, I just wanted something for now.

Your tank looks great, and for what it's worth you chose a lovely background to obscure!

That's why I'm not stressed at how badly I have applied it! It looks quite tall now and it's hard to imagine the gap being filled, but I'm sure little of it will be seen. The background I bought doesn't fit to the top even, I just wanted something for now.

Your tank looks great, and for what it's worth you chose a lovely background to obscure!
LOL obscured it is... :lol:
I had the background custom made to fit my aquarium. I found the picture on the internet, emailed it to a printing company giving them the exact dimensions I needed. The printed company printed the image on vinyl the same stuff used to make outside signs. It is pretty durable and not that expensive.

Oh God. Came downstairs to a mini-disaster and an entirely self created one.
A flood. But with a leak tested tank, and no wetness on the cabinet. And a load of sad looking plants.

So I switched off the electricity, cleaned up, put the plants in my other 2 tanks and began scooping out thinking I must have cracked the tank or had a slow leaking seal.

Then realised I have put an airstone in for later, forgotten it and never put a valve on the end or connected it up. So once I filled up and switched on it seems to have cheerfully emptied my tank over night.

No major damage in the house as hard floors and an old rug has soaked up most of the water. But very stressful and a reminder I'm very much an amateur. Doing more leak testing and then will reattempt set up in the week sometime. Not the mothers day morning I was anticipating.

I haven’t used root tabs; I can perhaps appreciate their need pre stocking since there are no fish to supplement their food but, and this obviously depends on your stocking intent, once fish are added, their detritus will provide (potentially) all the fertiliser they (the plants) will need. Looking good ?

Oh God. Came downstairs to a mini-disaster and an entirely self created one.
A flood. But with a leak tested tank, and no wetness on the cabinet. And a load of sad looking plants.

So I switched off the electricity, cleaned up, put the plants in my other 2 tanks and began scooping out thinking I must have cracked the tank or had a slow leaking seal.

Then realised I have put an airstone in for later, forgotten it and never put a valve on the end or connected it up. So once I filled up and switched on it seems to have cheerfully emptied my tank over night.

No major damage in the house as hard floors and an old rug has soaked up most of the water. But very stressful and a reminder I'm very much an amateur. Doing more leak testing and then will reattempt set up in the week sometime. Not the mothers day morning I was anticipating.
Hey don't feel bad because three times I flooded my floors refilling my tanks after doing water changes. The moral of the story, while refilling an aquarium don't take your eyes off it, and don't allow anything to distract you.

Hey don't feel bad because three times I flooded my floors refilling my tanks after doing water changes. The moral of the story, while refilling an aquarium don't take your eyes off it, and don't allow anything to distract you.
Oh no sounds stressful.

I thinj the lessons will come in thick and fast, but I'm enjoying the challenge even if this weekend has been hard work!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back