First Aquarium Fail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Im not using a stand as Im going to find a seccond hand table or even maybe dresser for the tank. I also realized I need a thermometer.

Also, low maintnace fish. I want natural now, because I think the guppies are a nice pop of color. Or, I might skip the guppies all together. I kind of want a really natural tank.

Ah okay, and yep a thermometer also, sorry forgot that one.
You may be hard pressed to find some natural fish as the ones we get at the store can vary a lot from the wild ones.
You have plenty of time to decide on stocking if you're going the fishless cycle route, which is highly recommended.

I have alot of time before I get the aquarium. Maybe up to 2 years. Lol. I figured maybe I could get a TANK for the holidays. I dont know. Still a long ways away. I want to show my mom Im serious about this and will learn everything I need to learn.

Trips to our petsmart while she gets dog food and we get guinea pig food and bedding I will get prices and see their stock.

Im very serious about this. I decided I wanted a tank just yesterday and Im already researching. Are danios good for a 10 gallon? I like how zebra danios look.

It's always good to research, I didn't plan on getting a tank for a very long time either and then my dad got me a 55g for my birthday.
Zebra danios, while they are certainly small, they're EXTREMELY active, so it is recommended to keep them in a 4 foot tank. They're also temperate, not tropical.
I'm not sure where you are, but I know at my walmart you can get a 10g tank with hood, light, filter, and some sample stuff for 27$, so you'd just need a heater.

Oh wow. Ill look at my walmart. I need alot of petsitting money forthis. That would be 2  weekends. But sometimes I watch the cat and dog at the same time and get 60 bucks, so I dont know. Im actually writing down notes and fish I plan to keep and my tank plans in a mini notebook. Hopefully to impress my mom lol. 

Are any danios ok for a ten gallon?

That's great!
Celestial pearl danios & emerald dwarf danios.
Did you take a look at the nano fish list I gave you?

Yes. I just cant make up my mind and I have to google every single one lol

would 6 celestial pearl danios and 6 ember tetras be okay? Maybe 7-8 of each even? And then 2-3 small snails? I like the idea of a super natural tank and bright fish. I also like the colors together but will have to see them in real life to make up my mind

Hopefully someone can come in and comment on the stocking, as I'm not sure. When I was planning a stocking for my 20g tank I had two groups of fish off that list and a pair of another fish as my sort of center pieces, so I think two groups may be too much for a 10, but I could be wrong
confused.gif
Sorry I'm of so little help! XD

*Edit* Sorry, only pulled one type of fish from that list.

Dont worry. You have been an awesome help

Then I can choose some from the 3 gallon list as well and my danios. I am gettingthose danios. I love them.   

I have added a stand to my list as I cant find anything on craigslist. Hopefully walmart will sell a stand.

Oh, and I just remembered the closest thing I have no an aquarium is 10 misquito fish and a baby bluegill for turtle feeding fish but since then I have rehomed my turtles. I did have a catfish but he died of an unknown cause. And they live outside in a tote.... because thats where my turtles were in the summer
tongue2.gif

Could I put a grow light in a hood? If I could I wouldnt need a screen. Or are grow lights a lamp like a reptile light?

And are silk plants found in the petstore? I have just always filed plastic plants down for my betta but want the best for him.

Can other fish have plastic plants?

Also, for somone who is good at stocking fish- Could I have 8 celestial pearl danios, 5 pygmy corys, and 2-3 small snails? Or are they not compatible/not enough room.

A few more things-

How big is the average 5 gallon?
Can I still do full water changes like I do now?

Guys. Im really sorry about my never ending list of questions

Ok. I have decided on 7 celestial pearl danios  and 2 pygmy corys. As well as 2 small snails.

EllieJellyEllie said:
Ok. I have decided on 7 celestial pearl danios  and 2 pygmy corys. As well as 2 small snails.
cories need schools of 6 plus so you should take them off.

Walmart does sell stands. 
I'm not sure what you mean, you have a 10g tank or a tote that holds 10g of water or something?

You can buy bulbs that are specifically for plants at pet stores, I imagine you can get them cheaper in other places but you'd have to know what you're looking for..I don't so we just get the ones that say for plants :p
You can find silk plants in pet stores, some fish can have plastic plants but silk is safer, live plants are even better.
Stocking -- not sure of

Average 5 gallon..I don't know if ours is average or not but it is 16in long

Full water changes, do you mean 100%? If you have a filter then you don't need to though I suppose you could, it'd just be a lot more work for you. Most do 25% weekly water changes, you can do bigger if you want.

Don't worry about all the questions, that is what the forum is for :)

Indeed, like ncguppy said, the cories also need a group of 6. Pygmys are also known for being quite shy so even at that number you still may not see them much.

Ok. Ill just do one school one type of fish. Not sure which yet. Thanks for all the answers!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back