First 75G Setup

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
In a 10 gallon that I have really been paying attention to, and I have successfully kept oscars with my BGK very easily, obviously you shouldn't put a full grown oscar with a baby BGK and my HOB filters have been working fine for 3 years now and doing their job, canisters are more efficient yes I didn't say thy weren't just said that mine work fine. I do agree with you now that having them with discus would be a bad idea but there's no need to be so rude.
Had no I idea I was making enemies on here was just trying to help people, sorry if I gave any bad info I guess ill just stop posting sorry to be such a bother, was only giving my personal experiences. :(

Ok gotcha. I didn't think that oscars or discus could really work with a BGK but that's why I was asking and tossing out all options to see what the best tank mates would be to go along with them. Really just open to all ideas and figuring it out. Thanks. Ok canister is the way I shall go then any suggestions as to brand?

sawickib said:
In a 10 gallon that I have really been paying attention to, and I have successfully kept oscars with my BGK very easily, obviously you shouldn't put a full grown oscar with a baby BGK and my HOB filters have been working fine for 3 years now and doing their job, canisters are more efficient yes I didn't say thy weren't just said that mine work fine. I do agree with you now that having them with discus would be a bad idea but there's no need to be so rude.
Had no I idea I was making enemies on here was just trying to help people, sorry if I gave any bad info I guess ill just stop posting sorry to be such a bother, was only giving my personal experiences.
sad.png
Whether you think I was being rude or not, that needed to be addressed. And I said I was shooting straight. Giving advice like that is only going to mislead people.

2chains said:
Ok gotcha. I didn't think that oscars or discus could really work with a BGK but that's why I was asking and tossing out all options to see what the best tank mates would be to go along with them. Really just open to all ideas and figuring it out. Thanks. Ok canister is the way I shall go then any suggestions as to brand?
You can see my stocking of my 75g in my profile. It is a bit overstocked/overfiltered and there is definitely some aggression in the tank that you would need to be prepared to deal with. I usually would recommend having an oscar and a hardy plec in a 75g and not going past that.

A 75g could make for a reallllly cool african cichlid tank. I considered setting that up instead of a nw cichlid tank....

I like a bit of aggression, the Dempsey and Oscars are a nice combo Remz. Are silver dollars aggresive? I saw something saying that they could do good with a BGK.

How would a fire eel fit in with a BGK? Would the cuvier bichir be a better choice?

2chains said:
I like a bit of aggression, the Dempsey and Oscars are a nice combo Remz. Are silver dollars aggresive? I saw something saying that they could do good with a BGK.
The silver dollars work as nice dither fish. not aggressive.

a good choice for a BGK

Would you say that a minimum of 3 silver dollars would be best? Maybe 5? to act properly as a dither fish.

I have 5. It is a lot of bioload. but i'm running about 8-9x turnover on my tank via two canisters and a 120 HOB.

Fire eels get 2' most people say it needs a 55 gallon minimum but i say 125 gallon minimum, I have my 12" BGK with a cuvier bichir, a ornate bichir, a endcherichi bichir, 3 small tire track eels, 1 small fire eel, some type of small 4" datnoid i think not sure, all in a 75 gallon, pretty much all these fish will be moving to a 300 gallon soon, so im not worried about overstock. Theyre all peaceful with each other, but id say my BGK is the boss of the tank. :p

I have a pretty good sized Veil Angel that I think needs an upgrade from his tank. Would there be any issues putting a BGK in with the Angel?

Did you get the angels and BGK at the same time? Was there a size difference? The LFS by me has some pretty small BGK compared to my Angel.

No i got my angles after the BGK and the BGK at the time was probably 10" and the angels were adults.

An Oscar and a BGK would have very little issues unless you were unlucky enough to get a very aggressive Oscar. Oscars, in general are not anywhere near as aggressive as their reputation. Most stories about them being aggressive are with other Cichlids or fish that try to take up its territory. I would definitely not advice against keeping them together so long as the Oscar went in 2nd and was a fair bit smaller than the BGK. Also it would be something that would need a close eye kept on it just incase.

Having said that there is no way you should put an Oscar in a planted tank IMO, you will not have those plans rooted for very long as they tend to like to design their own tanks :)

Judging from what I've read you seem to like the idea of Bichirs? I have kept Ornates, Endis and Delhizis with a Knife (not a BGK, but same size an shape), and from personal experience I dont think it's a great idea, although they wont really eat them so long as they are the same size, they do tend to see the tail as a snack, and will definitely have a go at it which will definitely stress out the Knife, and cause some physical damage. The Senegal is a much better choice as it will likely ignore the Knife.

Along with the Senegal, and Knife, very good tank mates as mentioned would be the African Butterfly, and Bushfish. The Siver Dollars will eat all your plants if you plan on planting it. That is a definite. A better dither fish, although slightly more expensive would be Torpedo Barbs. Equally a nice pair of Angels could fill that gap in the tank, but not with the Oscar :)

I have a ornate, end and Senegal with my BGK with no issues but I see how the results may very, because my BGK is 12" and it grew up with my bichirs. From what I've seen ornates aren't active really at all during the day, the Senegal is the most active and th end after that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back