Firemouths and Jewel cichlids

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My lfs has some firemouth cichlids in as well as some red jewel cichlids. I have just fallen in love with both of them. I've got a 112 litre tank (30 gallons) that I'd like to put some cichlids in. I read these 2 can live together but I'm thinking a pair each would be too much for a 30 gallon? What about just a pair of the jewel cichlids? What other types of smaller fish could I put in with them??

If I got a pair of the jewel cichlids whats the best way of going about it? The guy at my lfs said I should get about 6 and then watch them and see who pairs off naturally and then return the others does that sound right?

Both the firemouths and the jewels at my lfs are quite small still ...maybe 2-3 inches at most.

I'm dieing to get these fish :D

Is it best to only keep a pair of these fish? Could I maybe keep them in groups of say 3-4 instead??

you could probably keep one firemouth and one jewel, but i wouldnt have two pairs in one tank. It is a 30 gal, but what are the dimentions? 36 inches or 30 inches? And you could keep a pair of either fire mouths or jewels in that tank. If you get these cichlids, good dither fish are short-finned black skirt tetras. They are great!

Both will grow to the 5 inch area give or take , a 30 g is kind of tight for them . You may get by with a pair of either in that tank , or if they are small raise to the 3 or so inch mark , then look to trade them off .

IME with both fish, jewels grow a little larger and can be much more aggressive to the point of being dangerous [ fatal]. Long term this is probably not a good idea .

Jewels can be nightmare terrors and would probably tear the firemouths apart if you keep them together. Choosing one over the other, I would go with a pair of firemouths because of the lower aggression.

Your LFS is right, the best way to go about obtaining a solid couple is to purchase 4-6 fish and let them pair off naturally. Since he's giving you that advice I imagine he won't have a problem taking the remainders back.

i say breed the jewels b/c that's exactly what i've been wanting to do if i ever have a 30g to devote. :nod: jewel cichlids are sexy :drool:

Would the jewels be aggressive towards eachother?? Say if I went to my lfs today and chose a male and female and put them in the 30 gallon would they most likely pair up?? If not would he kill her??

So if I got the jewels would it be best to leave them alone in the tank or could I add say some of the black skirt tetras like you mentioned?? Say a group of 8 or so? I'm thinking if the jewels are so aggressive the tetras dont stand a chance?

It's a 30 inch long tank.

pica_nuttalli said:
i say breed the jewels b/c that's exactly what i've been wanting to do if i ever have a 30g to devote. :nod: jewel cichlids are sexy :drool:
Jewel cichlids are very sexy :p

Say if I went to my lfs today and chose a male and female and put them in the 30 gallon would they most likely pair up?? If not would he kill her??
Yup, the chances are in favour that he would kill her, at least he would if you didn't interfere and quickly take her out. Sometimes you can find a mature pair to buy, but not very often, and there is always the small chance a female and male will simply work out - if you are willing to risk it.

As for the tetra's, they'll work out for the most part - Jewels will only show regular aggression to competitors (other cichlids, bottom dwellers) and only try to eat what can fit in their mouths. Anything else is likely to be ignored completely. Any deep bodied shoaler (skirt tetra, serpae tetra) is a good choice. Be forwarned though, that once the cichlids spawn they become unpredictable. The tetra's may very well continue to be ignored, or they may consider them enough of a threat to go after. Since I prefer a tank with more then two fish in it I'd try it, and remove them if or when any problems arise.

freddyk said:
Say if I went to my lfs today and chose a male and female and put them in the 30 gallon would they most likely pair up?? If not would he kill her??
Yup, the chances are in favour that he would kill her, at least he would if you didn't interfere and quickly take her out. Sometimes you can find a mature pair to buy, but not very often, and there is always the small chance a female and male will simply work out - if you are willing to risk it.

As for the tetra's, they'll work out for the most part - Jewels will only show regular aggression to competitors (other cichlids, bottom dwellers) and only try to eat what can fit in their mouths. Anything else is likely to be ignored completely. Any deep bodied shoaler (skirt tetra, serpae tetra) is a good choice. Be forwarned though, that once the cichlids spawn they become unpredictable. The tetra's may very well continue to be ignored, or they may consider them enough of a threat to go after. Since I prefer a tank with more then two fish in it I'd try it, and remove them if or when any problems arise.
I was thinking of going to my lfs now and getting some of the jewels...would it be best to get 6 or so then??? I don't want to risk that he'll kill the female :/

I'll see what kind of tetras they have there...I know they have the black skirt tetras. If they do spawn and get very aggressive I'll move the tetras out.

The more you get, the better the chances of getting a compatable pair. 4 would be fine, but 6 gives you better chances of getting more females for the dominent male to choose from.

Another question...If I get 4-6 of the jewels how long will it take for them to pair off?? Days, weeks??

That depends on how old they are - it happens when they become sexually mature, usually weeks or months - but if you buy them already mature it could be days.

Ok well the ones at my lfs the biggest brightest ones are about 3 inches and the smaller dull ones are probably a little over 2 inches.

Should I choose like 2-4 dull colored ones and 1-2 bright colored ones??

edit: What is the best temp for them? I read anywhere from 72-82??

try and get them as big as you can, and let them pair off.
I made the mistake a bought three and a reasonably small size.
it took a few months for them to pair off, in which time they took over a 40gallon and killed the third jewel.

IMO, i wouldn't keep them with anything, they're as easy to breed as convicts and will kill anything that comes close to them. species tanks work best.

the dull coloured ones are probably Hemichromis Bimaculatus(sp?) - Common Jewel Cichlids, the couloured ones are probably Hemichromis Lifalili -Red Forest Jewel Cichlids,
Although i could be wrong as it is very hard to tell these days what is what since Hybridization has been going on with these fish for along time.

Try and go for one species. i.e. 4/5 couloured ones, as aposed to colours and dulls as they will fight

HTH

DD

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back