Firemouth Fry!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

just saw your ad on AC. to be honest i doubt people will pay £10 for a tiny juvi firemouth with no colour.....

i paid £12 for my wild caught firemouth that was as good if not better looking than your male and he was a good 3-3.5 inches.

i dont mean to put a downer on your advert or you but i feel at 0.5-1.5 inches they should be selling a hell of a lot cheaper than that, maybe £2 - 2.50 each max with a deal on groups!

i do wish you all the best but people wont pay that for a fish with no colour, especially when its an easily available fish like the firemouth.

I paid £9 for my wild Firemouths from a Maidenhead Aquatics, they are a good size too. Wouldn't pay anywhere near that for something so young, tank bred :)

I Know it is Expensive but I know people are going to knock my price down what ever price I put up. I Have had a few people interested already and have moved on 4 fish so far. I appreciate your Advice, but I don't plan on selling masses yet, I still want to grow them on until they all are about 2" at least.

Thanks
Westwood

i dont think pricing them high and being expected to be knocked down is a good selling strategy tbh. they need pricing to sell and at a price where people will want to buy them. too high a price will put people off straight away!

also i would consider getting a much bigger grow out tank now especially if they are still in the tank to the left of your sig.

again not trying to put you down just offering advice which i found out when breeding cory catfish a while back.

As I say I am not planning on selling loads at the moment, as I want to grow them bigger to get the price I am looking for.
I am getting a 110L, 3' tank for them in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks
Westwood

westwood can price his fish at what he wants as no one has to conform to what everyone else pays etc .... i dont and i went from breeding a few kribensis in a small 6 tank fish room and within 6months i was running 25+ tanks if i put them at a price where they sold fast i wouldnt have the setup i do now and people were happy to pay for quality

westwood the price you set them at is your own and its how much the fish are worth to you .... not to anyone else ..... ive seen people on ebay selling adult kribensis for £20 each and selling them no problems .... yet people like myself sell them for £2 for young sexable or £5 per adult like you said your not in a rush to sell them in a hurry so dont need to lower your prices but the few you do sell will go towards that new grow on tank etc

westwood can price his fish at what he wants as no one has to conform to what everyone else pays etc .... i dont and i went from breeding a few kribensis in a small 6 tank fish room and within 6months i was running 25+ tanks if i put them at a price where they sold fast i wouldnt have the setup i do now and people were happy to pay for quality

westwood the price you set them at is your own and its how much the fish are worth to you .... not to anyone else ..... ive seen people on ebay selling adult kribensis for £20 each and selling them no problems .... yet people like myself sell them for £2 for young sexable or £5 per adult like you said your not in a rush to sell them in a hurry so dont need to lower your prices but the few you do sell will go towards that new grow on tank etc
this is very true and i wish him well at selling them at that price but he also has to be realistic. if a wild caught sub adult of great quality can be bought from an lfs for £10 then what im saying is that very few people will pay £10 for a fish that they have no idea what it will colour up like or grow into.

i also agree that people will pay for quality and everyone has to start somewhere if they choose to breed fish but firemouths arent a rare fish and can be easilly obtained at almost every lfs. the buyer is after a bargain in this country at the minute and all im saying is that most people looking for a firemouth wont be prepared to pay £10 for a fish of this size and will opt for the cheaper lfs fish that at this size will no doubt look identical no matter of its quality.

pricing fish at what they are worth to the breeder may not be the price people will pay so unless he wants a keep them all the price will need reducing at this size fish anyway. a 120L 3ft tank upgrade is on its way but for this amount of juvi fish to grow well and thrive more room will be needed to keep them in excellent health and keep their quality status.

westwood i wish you all the best i really do but personally i think a firemouth of 1.5 inch or less is not worth paying £10 for. i also bred fish and found that unless you lower prices then you could well be over run with too many fish or even destroying eggs due to lack of room to keep up with the parents.... the bigger the fish get the more room they need especially with active semi aggressive cichlids such as firemouths which im sure you are well aware but bigger fish means more bigger tanks and more food, water, time etc etc etc costing you more in the long run. you need to figure out how much each fish has cost you and find out at what size you will still sell and make a proffit if this is your intention.

as we know a fish has no price but all we can do is go on prices that fish are traded at by shops and privately and try to compete.

westwood i was just trying to offer some realsistic advice :)

Fish Are now available In the classifieds At £4 per fish.
Link to Ad

Will also get a update in soon.

Westwood

Most reactions

trending

Back