Firemouth Cychlid

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

leongreenway

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Guys, would 2 firmouths be OK in a 81 Litre Tank ??

thinking possibly of putting in a RT Black shark as well.

or just having one firemouth and 1 RT black shark and a cat of some description.

What does anyone think

Leon

:kana: B) ;) :D

it's too small for either of those species i'm afraid.

if you want cichlids a type of appisto, ram or keyholes would be ok in there.

single pair of firemouths would be ok atleast while still not fully grown...
rt black shark also, altho not when breeding!!!small plec like clown mite cope

I have a breeding pair of salvini's in a 90l, but there only 3" and 4"
fully grown they'll need a 4ft!

firemouths get to max. of 6"
get six or so till you get a pair, then take the others out!
ideally move the pair to own tank but guess ya have limited tank space?
lfs should welcome them bac for credit
mite be mistaken but would be ok by my eperiences? alone?

Also heard stories of firemouths been kept with neons, wouldn't try it myself but gives you an idea of their aggression levels!

Fire Mouths are hard to gage. I've seen them as the weakest fish in the tank amongst similar sized cichlids and I've seen them as the dominant. I think the temperament of FM's, even more so than other species, are an individual matter.

I agree with the above posts that 81 liters (21 US Gal) is enough space for a pair of juvenals but not adults.

agree with the above posts that 81 liters (21 US Gal) is enough space for a pair of juvenals but not adults

Which would be a no, it's not big enough.

I think we all were trying to make the same point. 81 liters isn't enough room for adult FMs and it is a good general rule to follow that when stocking a tank you should only do so with what can happily/safely mature in that tank. Some of us just tried to be a little more... soft... while others blurted it right out. I try to be 'delicate' as often as possible but mostly because if I don't watch myself I'm overly blunt :p

But the consensus agrees... too small for FMs, dwarf cichlids would be your best route (if you want cichlids).

I typed : fire mouth profile : into google without the semi colons and got many pages with fire mouth info.

The first several (I only checked a few) said 5-6 inches.

Would probably be a good way to read a lot of views about your fish without killing yourself in research.

PS - I also thought they 'could' get bigger than 5-6 inches.

I like to read ‘what the professionals say’ to learn the basics. It’s definitely a huge resource to be able to talk to other people who keep the same kind of fish we do or plan to do. I’ve gotten a ton of refined tips here.

Most reactions

trending

Back