Fire Mouth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ECCO_

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ill be getting a larger tank, (Most Likely a 55gallon)....
Would you recommend firemouth cichlids for a 55g?
And what would make good tank mates for them?

FM would be fine in a 55 gallon. You could do a pair and still have tankmates.
With the correct decoration you could have 2 pairs in a 55G, but I wouldnt really recommend tankmates.

If you want 1 FM:
1 FM
6 swordtails (2m 4f)
And you would have room for another cichlid/more dithers if you want eg. a convict, rainbow cichlid, theres plenty of options. All up to what you like, research some fish then ask when you find some you like.

If you wanted a pair of FM then I would do:
Pair of FM
6 swordtails (2m 4f)

If you have clear territories and decorations to break up the line of sight, you MAY be able to house 2 pairs of FM, but it will be risky.

blue acaras, flag acaras and other dwarfs may work, firemouths will fight when provoked but they havn't got any real aggression.Sevs and parrots would also work but I wouldn't reccomend them for a 55gal as some can get as large as 10-12 inches.
I wouldn't bother with any swordtails, just my opinion.
I would do something like firemouth and acara with a shoal of praecox rainbow fish (dwarf neon) and a couple of bn's.Maybe adding another firemouth, acara or dwarf cichlid to the stocking over time and increasing the shoals numbers.

FM would be fine in a 55 gallon. You could do a pair and still have tankmates.
With the correct decoration you could have 2 pairs in a 55G, but I wouldnt really recommend tankmates.

If you want 1 FM:
1 FM
6 swordtails (2m 4f)
And you would have room for another cichlid/more dithers if you want eg. a convict, rainbow cichlid, theres plenty of options. All up to what you like, research some fish then ask when you find some you like.

If you wanted a pair of FM then I would do:
Pair of FM
6 swordtails (2m 4f)

If you have clear territories and decorations to break up the line of sight, you MAY be able to house 2 pairs of FM, but it will be risky.

Id probley just get one. And as for decor and open space Ill be using this ship.
55g32.jpg

((No, this isnt my tank....but I have that ship))

Cool, if you go with more cichlids I would add caves, rock formations and bogwood for more territory's

Cool, if you go with more cichlids I would add caves, rock formations and bogwood for more territory's
Thanks, I have the ship for hiding spots but I could use some more caves and rocks.
Eanyways, what if I didnt go with firemouths..,..What other cichlids would you recommend for a 55gallon?

You could do malawi's, the bare min most people reccomend is a 55gal though.
My minds gone blank atm, sorry lol.

You could do malawi's, the bare min most people reccomend is a 55gal though.
My minds gone blank atm, sorry lol.
LoL, that ok.
Um, Im not big on african cichlids... So many of them.
Lets say I did go with african, what bottom eating fish( like plecs, cats, ex) would work well with them...?

I've seen synodontis something or another with malawi's... :look: Any tough medium sized catfish would work I suppose?

I've seen synodontis something or another with malawi's... :look: Any tough medium sized catfish would work I suppose?

Yeah, But Ill go ahead with South American Cichlids. That way Id have more tank mates to choose from.
And you said you wouldnt recommend convicts or parrots?
What about severums?

Oops bangs hed repeatedly :rolleyes:
A single convict would probly work with a firemouth, and or an acara, then some dither fish and a few bn's or fancy plecs would be awesome imo.There's other cichlids what would work but I can't think atm :lol:

Oops bangs hed repeatedly :rolleyes:
A single convict would probly work with a firemouth, and or an acara, then some dither fish and a few bn's or fancy plecs would be awesome imo.There's other cichlids what would work but I can't think atm :lol:

Its ok.....
They have so many.,,, I dont blame ya!

I actually have 6 F1 firemouths growing out in a 55 the largest of the 6 is probably about 3 inches right now, the plan being to get at least possibly 2 pairs. throw in a BN, and possibly some rainbow fish of some sort.

Central American and South American cichlids that could work include: firemouths, convicts, salvini, sajica, HRP, blue acara, angels, some species of Geophagus, some species of pike cichlid, Jack dempseys, rainbow cichlids etc. etc.

Smaller cichlid options would be checkerboard cichlids, apistos, rams etc.

Loads of options.

I actually have 6 F1 firemouths growing out in a 55 the largest of the 6 is probably about 3 inches right now, the plan being to get at least possibly 2 pairs. throw in a BN, and possibly some rainbow fish of some sort.
Cool, ever had praecox rainbows?There a real nice, hardy, active and colourful .
I would reccomend them, there small but fast and should be fine with the firemouths, you might even get them breeding aswell, I've heard they are not too hard to breed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back