Fire Mouth Vs Severum

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lrhodes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Which one has a better temper?
Pros and cons of each.

Pretty simple in my opinion. Buy the Firemouths. They are much nicer in color, a little more agressive, but also fun to watch.

So... severum are nicer than fire mouths? That's a big concern for me. I really want a less aggressive species in my 55.
I already have African cichlids in one tank. And I'm scared to death they are going to turn all ravenous on me some day!

I have had more "nice" severums than Elliotti (from the firemouth family), but you can still get a nasty severum.

Depends a whole lot on what you mean about nice, and with what. I have a tank full of ellioti (if anyone wants any.....) that are happily coexisting, until some pair off that is.....

Severums tend to be more placid, but in my experience of them, they're probably more capable of doing damage, but less likely to. So with other big fish, the firemouth every time, for small fish, the severums.

Well put Dr. Rob. It's a 55 Gallon, and she wants just a few large fish. Severums are cool, but you'll get more color and entertainment from the firemouths. I think the severums are more docile, but can be just as mean as any other given the right set of circumstances.

Severums will also decimate any plants you have, so if the tank is planted that's also a factor

Indeed, they are pretty destructive. The thorichthys group aren't all that well behaved with plants, digging them up and nibbling away, but nothing like the destroying power of a severum.

Firemouths are A Holes ;) I have three Severums and they are very peaceful. I don't have plants because it's just not worth it also make sure tankmates are too big to fit in the Severums mouth ! They just see little fish as food and will swallow them up in one go

Severums are generally more peaceful i would say, however i had to return one to a shop once he was a right little terror :)

I was debating on getting a Severum too!

Kind of between a Discus and a Severum though. Trying to decide which direction I want to take my tank...

I think for now, I'm going to just try some keyholes. A little smaller than I was looking for. But I think they have the personality I am wanting.

I've read that a group of tetras would make keyholes more comfortable in a tank. What about guppies? I figure once the keyholes are adults they will eat fry, but even guppies eat their fry! Lol. Do you think the keyholes would be OK with adult guppies? I don't plan on keeping the guppies forever. But it takes me forever to get rid of any pets because I act like someone is adopting a child! Lol. I'm very picky about who gets my fish!

I think they should be ok they are generally quite peaceful, obviously the fry are small enough to fit in anythings mouth so pretty much anything will eat them when they're that small 

Im the same when it comes to rehoming fish too you've gota make sure they go to a good home :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back