Fire Mouth Cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kirktaz

Reaction score
Can anybody help please, I have 2 Firemouths and im curious on the sex of them as 1 i think would definatley be a male as he is larger, brighter coloured and his fins appear pointed like my male green terror. However the other is alot smaller and its fins are more rounder like my female green terror, but the fish still has a bright red chin/chest (hope that makes sense), Also the pair of them seem to get on well together, which i imagine wouldnt happen if they was 2 males.

I know my green terrors are a pair because they have bred twice...and then ate all the babies...lol

Any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

More so than in any of the other cichlids, the pointed and/or rounded dorsal fins in the Firemouths are much more pronounced and a definite indication of sex.... So to me, it sounds 99% like you do have a male & female.

More so than in any of the other cichlids, the pointed and/or rounded dorsal fins in the Firemouths are much more pronounced and a definite indication of sex.... So to me, it sounds 99% like you do have a male & female.

Despite the red chin/chest ? I did purchase them as an unsure pair, they were quite small when i got them.

Despite the red chin/chest ? I did purchase them as an unsure pair, they were quite small when i got them.

Yes.... Even the females do display the beautiful red chest.....

as LV pointed out FMs are monomorphic, usually besides the fins the only difference between a male and female is that the male will have more red but both sexes display the red throat and chest.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back