Fire Mouth Cichlids?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
they are funny fish i have three in my 29 gal and 2 convicts.when the con are chasing them theyll stop and stretch out there gills which scares the cons lol but thats about they but they do chase every once in awhile ecspealy when they breed

Dude word of advice, don't buy them unless you have other badass fish that can stick up for themelves. They are very territorial, has the mindset of a red devil, but overall pretty.

The temperament of Fire mouths isn't close to that of red devils. The FM's are much more peaceful.

some of u guys really havent seen how aggressive a firemouth can be, i posted this in someone elses thread to, not all firemouths are the same, some are relatively well behaved, but if u get one even half as aggressive as mine, your in for trouble, it beats up my flowerhorn, green texas, both convict pairs. there NOT a peaceful fish normally, no one believes me until they see my firemouth, but just trust me, they can be very aggressive, and will cause damage. im not saying all of them are in the same classifications as a midas or red devil, but u know what, some are, ive had quite a few aggressive fish fall victim to my firemouth, and its only 5-6", calling them peaceful is absoluetely rediculous.

I believe you Gage xD! I had to deal with them in the past they are agressive even for no reason. I guess either ppl are going by what the data has shown and never own any or got lucky with FMs xD

and here i thought i might get booted for being honest, after i typed it, at least someone believes me, those who dont, go buy a firemouth then tell me they arent aggressive.

and here i thought i might get booted for being honest, after i typed it, at least someone believes me, those who dont, go buy a firemouth then tell me they arent aggressive.

:rolleyes: It's not that people don't believe you. Most of the people on this thread have owned FM's in the past or own them now. They are just sharing what they observed with there's. And not every FM's temperament is the same, as expressed throughout the New World Cichlid Forum. You and Wolf361 just happen to have encounter a non-peaceful one. Overall they are mainly "bluffers" and you can always check to make sure before you buy them by watching them in the fish store or other methods.

I have owned firemouths, many in fact. None have ever caused me trouble. This is just my experience and as Randall has said not all are the same.

i didn't have good luck with mine either. mine hated everything i put with it except a salvini. which it spawned with(didn't know that was possible) and got even nastier. eventually my jd stopped putting up with it and called it's bluff :) it was pretty beat up so i had to return it.

they are funny fish i have three in my 29 gal and 2 convicts.when the con are chasing them theyll stop and stretch out there gills which scares the cons lol but thats about they but they do chase every once in awhile ecspealy when they breed

Ime firemouths are mildly aggressive.As with all cichlids though you may get some which are more timid and some which are more aggressive.Quite often they get more aggressive as they mature.

Grimmy imo that tanks too small for 5 cichlids which could potentially reach 6' each.How big are they now?

<BR>they are funny fish i have three in my 29 gal and 2 convicts.when the con are chasing them theyll stop and stretch out there gills which scares the cons lol but thats about they but they do chase every once in awhile ecspealy when they breed<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>Ime firemouths are mildly aggressive.As with all cichlids though you may get some which are more timid and some which are more aggressive.Quite often they get more aggressive as they mature.<BR><BR>Grimmy imo that tanks too small for 5 cichlids which could potentially reach 6' each.How big are they now?

my dad was well into his fish many years ago, bred them showed them and has got a bundle of certificates to show. when i was think of getting another tank (big one), i thought about a cichlids tank and my dad said about the fire mouths as being a lovely fish. not sure if he had them or if he ment too look at? but if you had a tank with just fire mouths say a few pairs or a higher female population with you still get as many problems? i know every fish is different but as a rule?

MY firemouth was nasty at frst he was very docial and my con ruled the tank but a week after getting him he killed the con and beat up on the other fish until i had to give him away :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Back