Fire Extinguisher Co2

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Themuleous

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I accept no responsibility for any loss, damage or injury suffered if you follow this 'manual' and something goes wrong, that's YOUR fault not mine.

Hi all :)

Before I start a BIG word re safely, these cylinders (read the other posts) are potential killers, but if you are sensible and treat it with respect you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

There have been several threads recently about pressurised CO2, so I thought as I was setting up a new system I would show everyone how to do it cheaply using a fire extinguisher. So first you need a cylinder, these do vary in size but this 2kg cylinder is 23" tall (that is a DVD case next to it) and I got it on eBay for £22 including delivery from here

<a href="http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZ123safer4u" target="_blank">http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZ123safer4u</a>

FE.jpg

Then you need a reg, again I got mine on eBay, you can spend as much as you like on a reg but these are cheap and I've found them to be excellent, with a very easy needle value built in.

<a href="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Aquarianerversand...sQ3amesstQQtZkm" target="_blank">http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Aquarianerversand...sQ3amesstQQtZkm</a>

Reg.jpg

You'll need to remove the horn, which was easier to do than I had expected, just use a variable wrench. On a safety note it's a good idea to keep the safety pin in to prevent the lever from accidentally being squeezed whilst the horn is removed. Once the regulator is safely attached then remove the pin. If the extinguisher were to accidentally go off without the horn attached it can do a fair bit of harm as liquid CO2 comes out very fast. (Thanks James)

Wrench.jpg

FEwrench.jpg

FEhorn.jpg

The reg didn't actually fit quite as snug as I had expected however its working find so no problems :) and this might be the same with all regs and cylinders to ensure a secure fit.

RegFE.jpg

Tighten it well with the wrench, as if you don't it could cause you problems when you 'fire' the FE and we don't want people getting hurt now do we!

RegonFE.jpg

FEclose.jpg

Now take it outside in order to 'fire' the FE to release the CO2. I was expecting an explosion or something when I did this, but I had tightened the reg nut well and a short hiss was all I got, good actually I don't want to lose my arms! The needle on the reg should go to around 50 bar and the other gauge is set using the larger black dial on the front of the reg. I don't think it really matters what you set this to, I just went for 1.5 bar for no reason at all!

Dials.jpg

You'll need to keep the handles closed to keep the CO2 flowing, I used gaffa tape.

Tape.jpg

Next check for leaks using soapy water

Leaks.jpg

Now link it up to a bubble counter with check value to protect the reg from back flow.

Counter.jpg

The attach a diffuser. I'm a hugh fan of ceramic glass diffusers as they look the business and work a treat and really aren't that expensive. I love eBay and got mine from here

[URL="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AquaticMagic_W0QQ...sQ3amesstQQtZkm"]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AquaticMagic_W0QQ...sQ3amesstQQtZkm[/URL]

Diffuser.jpg

And some CO2 tubing

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...9qnjl48lsia52s7

Then set the bubble rate and add to the tank :)

Finished2.jpg

Finished.jpg

Once install, be sure to secure the cylinder carefully, either by chaining it to the wall or similar, anything to stop it being knocked over. In the words of James, if the reg gets knocked off the cylinder could take off, through the roof by the sounds on things! Better to be safe :)

This whole kit cost we around £70-75 quid and should last at least a year before I need a refill.

Hope that's of help to people

Sam

Sam, you are the best! As you know, this is the same system I'm going with, after your very helpful advice (along with everyone else!) I have the fire extinguisher ready to go, need to order the regulator/needle valve now. Might wait till after pay day as funds are short.

+1 for sticky vote! :)

Well, I just ordered a whole pressurised system anyway, but I'm sure this is very useful to a lot of people so I also think it should be pinned.

Nice one Sam. On a safety note it's a good idea to keep the safety pin in to prevent the lever from accidently being squeezed whilst the horn is removed. Once the regulator is safely attached then remove the pin. If the extinguisher were to accidently go off without the horn attached it can do a fair bit of harm as liquid CO2 comes out very fast.

James

Thanks guys :)

Good point James, Ive edited it to include your suggestion.

Sam

Good post sam. When I was first thinking about pressurized co2 this post would have been very helpful.
pressurized co2 for cheap, if /when I set another tank ill give that regulator a try.

I also use co2 from the ebay company you have linked- a 5kg bottle. good price/product and fast delivery.

Nice guide Sam

I think the working pressure should always be around 1 1/2 - 2 bar for a nice safe level with a good bit of leeway either side of too high and too low, so you have it set right as it is now, any lower and the working pressure is too low, the output bubble rate gets erratic if at 1 bar or lower.

Temperature will also play a role in the working pressure and affect your bubble rate output so beware setting up a new cylinder brought in from the cold outside, better to let it reach room temperature so keep a good eye on the bubble rate until it does.

But nice guide for those yet to take the plunge into pressurised CO2.

Sorry to spoil the party people. This may be a cheap way to make a CO2 system but it is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!!!!. I am a service engineer for a company that makes high pressured lifting devies for the emergency services. Whilst you are fiddling about with a cylinder with 50BAR of c02 that is ready to come gushing out with one wrong move you are dicing with death. Just an example for you to understand how much 50bar of pressure is 2 years ago a fireman was killed when a breathing apparatus cylinder regulator came loose. This cylinder was 18Bar and was 5 feet from where he was standing and it blew half his face off. So imagine 50bar when your loosening with a spanner. It would like be sitting on a plane when a bomb went off.

My last word on this is DONT DICE WITH DEATH. High pressure cylinders should not be messed around with by unqualified people. :rip:

Not any more, he's about to sell it to me! :shifty:

:lol: I wonder if he knows that :huh:

So Sam will be running 24 hr co2 then?

He does know that ;) and yeh I run it 24/7, no problems at all :)

My last word on this is DONT DICE WITH DEATH. High pressure cylinders should not be messed around with by unqualified people. :rip:

Fair point. You can buy 500g JBL CO2 cylinders from a fair few local fish shops, they run at 50bar. Would this also include welding people?

Sam

Sorry to spoil the party people.

What constitutes messing about with them, and what qualifications do we need?

Dave.

Great post Sam! I've been using this system for a year or so and it works brilliantly... I use cable ties to hold my handles together as gaffer tape will probably give way at some point...

As for messing about....... 'And there it was, gone!'

Dave.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back