Fire Eel

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

david27

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I own one and I know how big it could get so this is not the issue, I would just like to know what is the biggest youv'e ever seen.

Oh and please no fishermen tales such as, it was so big it used to eat small children and still come back for more :D :D

cheers

David :fish:

Lynwood fishhouse in Chesington had some that were between 18 and 20 inches long a few years back, absolutly stunning at that size and very active but with a price tag of £120 each far too much for me to consider buying at that time, i did however buy a small one of about 4" which i never saw apart from its head sticking out of the gravel and it grew so slowly i had to take it back when i got into the more predatory fish for fear of it being food.

The biggest I have ever seen one was about 15" in a small holding tank at Coral Cave Aquatics near me. Out of interest how big is yours currently?

Cheers CFC Mine got to about 20" and is still growing, he is stunning but I didn't realise that large fire eels went for that sort of money!!. I don't seem to have the feeding problems that effect so many fire eels as mine is hand fed and has eaten 14 prawns onw after another.

I will post a pic at some stage.

the biggest one's i had seen where @ wharf aquatics in notts they had some real big tyre tracks and fire eels as well they were between 20-24" long real nice fish these were £65.00 each but like cfc when i saw these it was a lot of money for me

i had three all about 10-12" and now have one tyre track about 8" but fat

David,

Posted same question again here. Curoius to know how long it's taken to reach that size ?

BTw - Great Pic

Cheers,

Dave

I brought him when he was about 15" long and that was about 8 months ago, but a lot depends on the size of the tank and the way the fish eats.

As I have said mine has a hearty apetite and this has helped his growth.

Cheers

i have seen one 4 ft long in maiden head aquatics in havant and i mean it is absoluetly huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a 3 ft tryetrack and i have seen bigger fire eels @ bas (british aquatic superstore) in bolton about 85cm long and 12" girth in the correct tank 1 metre may bee slow growers maybee????

david27 said:
I brought him when he was about 15" long and that was about 8 months ago, but a lot depends on the size of the tank and the way the fish eats.

As I have said mine has a hearty apetite and this has helped his growth.

Cheers

:rofl: i had the same argument about 1 month ago my eel eats about 15 mussles a day and has grow very large very quick

however cfc stated that i may have been in a small tank and may have had its growth suppressed (or it maybee the steriods we are feeding them lol) :rofl: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back