Fire Belly Newt Tank Mates

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

raptorrex

Inactive
Reaction score
i got two Chinese Firebelly newts. they live in a 20gallon tank that i have 3/4 full of water. i have noticed a build up of algae, not much but spots are developing on some of the deccor. would it be safe to add a couple of corys, and possibly a bn pleco.

I've read on Caudata.org and other places that any tankmates for newts are very much frowned upon, as newts are highly predatory - though generally WCM minnows should be okay. Plus, Corydoras and BN are tropical, while Firebelly Newts are coldwater.

I'd just chuck some ramshorns into the tank if I were you. Assuming the newt doesn't eat them, they should do an okay job, and they do fine in unheated tanks.

I've read on Caudata.org and other places that any tankmates for newts are very much frowned upon, as newts are highly predatory - though generally WCM minnows should be okay. Plus, Corydoras and BN are tropical, while Firebelly Newts are coldwater.

I'd just chuck some ramshorns into the tank if I were you. Assuming the newt doesn't eat them, they should do an okay job, and they do fine in unheated tanks.
both the pleco and the corys are quite happy in temps of around 70-72 as are the newts.
sorry i should have said Chinese firebell newts, so the aggression is not a problem as these guys aren't.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back