Fire and fish tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Kazzaye

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™m just curious about what people do when they have to evacuate during a bush fire. I doubt taking fish with me is viable. Does power get cut off during these times? If I do leave do I switch off tanks ? Leave them without operating filters?

In time of fire, most importantly, you should save your own lives first.

Next, if you have time, save your valuables like money, jewelleries, important document (deeds, certificates), etc.

Next, if you still have time, you can try to save your fish by packing them in plastic bags, pails, ice box, etc...

But if you can't bring them with you, probably you can bring them outside the house (in pails or glass tanks), and put them in an open space/place far away from buildings, trees or things that can burn.
Glass is a good insulation but it must not get heated up, else the fish will also die when the tank water get heated up.

Switch off your house main circuit breaker if possible to prevent electrical fire which are very dangerous.

These are the only things that I can think of based on my limited knowledge.

Here is a good article on what to do during bush fire:

But for best advice, consult your local fire brigade on what to do.

Last edited:
don't bother moving your fish during a bush fire. if the house burns down you won't have a tank to put them in. if the house doesn't burn down the fish will be fine.

put carbon in the filter and replace it every few days while there is smoke in the air.

have a battery air pump running on the tank. do not have an air stone on it, just let bubbles come out the end of the airline.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back