Finepix S1000Fd

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
well i got my camera, still seems to have a pixel issue....but only in the odd image?? its more so video and seems as im not going to do videos much...well you guessed the rest so what kind of image to i need to post up?

wwhat kind of image to i need to post up?

Any that you feel are blurry. When you take an image, the settings you used are saved and attached to the .jpg as an exif file. So People can tell exactly what you did when you took the pic

highlights?? :blink:

highlight = brightest part of the picture. The sensor of a camera has a much lower dynamic range (difference between dark and light) than our eyes. Normally the camera would automatically set the aperture to control the maximum amount of light that hits the sensor to stop the sensor being saturated (overloaded). However, if the image is a fairly constant intensity with a few small bright patches here and there, the camera will look at the bigger picture and ignores the bright spots, so that most of the image is exposed properly (i.e. not too dark). Because the bright spots are ignored they are too bright for the sensor to register so appear as 'blown highlights' :)

It works the opposite way too. If you take a picture of a car on a bright sunny day, not only will you get blown highlights on highly reflective bits, but you will also lose a lot of detail in the shadows that you will have noticed with your own eyes, and perhaps wanted in the final shot too.

Most cameras have a setting called EV = Exposure Value and is expressed as a positive or negative figure. This allows you to partly override the cameras meter to increase or decrease exposure and overcome some of the problems of highlights / shadow details. Find it on your camera and play around because it is a very useful thing to know about!!

heres one......

DSCF0014.jpg

glad you know what ya doing with it....mind you these guys are hard to catch anyway! but most of my picture of fish seem to come out like this one....

highlights?? :blink:

yeah thats what i thought.

but it does indicate, whatever your technical knowledge, its almost impossible to diagnose a problem. unless you have an image to judge from.

heres one......

glad you know what ya doing with it....mind you these guys are hard to catch anyway! but most of my picture of fish seem to come out like this one....

The problem with your image is noise from a high ISO, some camera shake (and fish more blurred due to movement) and fish is under exposed.

You can try a higher ISO which will increase shutter speed (and this is very low btw if you apply the crop factor rule you need at least 1/33" to get a reasonable steady shot. Not sure how antishake works with your camera I think it bumps ISO - was this enabled?

Basically you have got to increase ISO (at the expense of more noise) or use a flash, as all the above is because there is not enough light coming from the tank!

First, try a flash shot, angled so you don't get the reflection of flash in the glass - see if this helps.

Then, try a non flash shot but make sure anti-shake is on if it wasn't before, and increase ISO to 3200 or whatever the maximum is and see what the shots look like then.

Fish may still be slightly underexposed because camera has metered for whole tank and fish, being a small part of the picture is quite dark - upping EV will sort this out but again at the expense of blown highlights haha (see above as this is perfect example) i.e. the bleached effect of the pebble will be larger and more pronounced AND slower shutter speed which means more likely to get camera shake!

First and foremost, I think it is too easy to expect miracles out of cameras these days, but photography is still an art and takes a long time to get real good results. Don't worry and learn how your camera operates to get the best out of it!

So lets see some more practice shots :good:

Exposure 1/9"
F number 2.8
ISO 800
Focal Length 5.9mm

heres one......

The problem with your image is noise from a high ISO, some camera shake (and fish more blurred due to movement) and fish is under exposed.

You can try a higher ISO which will increase shutter speed (and this is very low btw if you apply the crop factor rule you need at least 1/33" to get a reasonable steady shot. Not sure how antishake works with your camera I think it bumps ISO - was this enabled?

Basically you have got to increase ISO (at the expense of more noise) or use a flash, as all the above is because there is not enough light coming from the tank!

First, try a flash shot, angled so you don't get the reflection of flash in the glass - see if this helps.

Then, try a non flash shot but make sure anti-shake is on if it wasn't before, and increase ISO to 3200 or whatever the maximum is and see what the shots look like then.

Fish may still be slightly underexposed because camera has metered for whole tank and fish, being a small part of the picture is quite dark - upping EV will sort this out but again at the expense of blown highlights haha (see above as this is perfect example) i.e. the bleached effect of the pebble will be larger and more pronounced AND slower shutter speed which means more likely to get camera shake!

First and foremost, I think it is too easy to expect miracles out of cameras these days, but photography is still an art and takes a long time to get real good results. Don't worry and learn how your camera operates to get the best out of it!

So lets see some more practice shots  :good:

Exposure 1/9"
F number 2.8
ISO 800
Focal Length 5.9mm

all that you mention is wrong. however the main problem with the shot is, its focused on the background. so the fish and plants are out. no point messin with ISO and stuff if the camera is focusing on the wrong point.

got it, im going to try it anyway, but guess what....i now have a s1500!!!! turns out my new one had the same pixel problem!! i was not impressed so this got sent back and i just got this one instead hehe, so exspect some more test shots with my new s1500!! which by the way only cost me £129 :)

here is what i use/ do

ISO400
f/3.5
flash with diffuser

sit back from tank, full zoom & macro. take pictures on an angle to glass so flash doesnt reflect straight back to lense.

you dont have to use zoom but the reason i do is because the flash diffuses over a larger area so i dont get lense flare. If i am close to the glass then i do not bother with flash.

To focus, press the shutter button halfway until the subject is in focus, you may need to do this several times, then press fully to take a picture.

you want a minimum of 1/80sec shutter speed for slow fish, ideally you want 1/125sec
this can inly be sometims acheived if you use ISO800 but then you get bad noise but there are programs out there to remove it (this decreases sharpness of picture though)

all that you mention is wrong. however the main problem with the shot is, its focused on the background. so the fish and plants are out. no point messin with ISO and stuff if the camera is focusing on the wrong point.

I have overlooked the focus issue fair enough but I would stand by most everything else I said - there is a lot of noise in that image and things aren't going to improve unless a flash is used IMO. Look at the EXIF data I posted to see why!

Also doesn't harm to experiment with ISO at all IMO best pictures are taken without flash so being able to make the most out of your camera you should know how it performs at different sensitivities. Might not have helped to get a much better piccy here except for the fact higher ISO = possible smaller aperture = greater depth of field = more of image in focus :)

eh.....iso? noise?? erm call me stupid but i have no idea what you are on about...think you could doa real break down of what you mean??

I have overlooked the focus issue fair enough but I would stand by most everything else I said - there is a lot of noise in that image and things aren't going to improve unless a flash is used IMO. Look at the EXIF data I posted to see why!

Also doesn't harm to experiment with ISO at all IMO best pictures are taken without flash so being able to make the most out of your camera you should know how it performs at different sensitivities. Might not have helped to get a much better piccy here except for the fact higher ISO = possible smaller aperture = greater depth of field = more of image in focus :)
noise, as you call it, is an automatic effect of in-correct focus/underexposure, not the cause. looking at the shot it's, already at a high ISO. but i do agree, that a flash is needed. as there is, or looks to be, way too little light.

eh.....iso? noise?? erm call me stupid but i have no idea what you are on about...think you could doa real break down of what you mean??

lol, ISO is the system used to grade how much light is needed to take a shot. the higher ISO number the less light you need to get a shot. however the higher you go, the more quality loss you get. its a balance between, light and quality (within reason).

i want to address two, very good points aaronnorth made:

1, tissue over flash, to cut down how harsh the light is. this is an excellent way to assist with flash and fish tanks. and well worth trying, whatever your experience and gear.

2, zoom with macro. now i am dealing with your camera here, razer121. you can use the zoom, in "standard macro". now i pointed out, if you use zoom ,you simply keep the image the same size, but move further away to take it. this, at first glance seem good. however, as you zoom up the range (low to high) the lens also lets less light in( aperture gets smaller as the zoom gets longer). so whilst you can get farther away from your subject, the lens will let less light in. it is true that a smaller aperture will give more depth of field (how much is in focus). but that does not help if there is too little light to get a good picture.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back