Fine Bubble Airstone

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So, I was doing some online shopping for my upcoming goldfish tank. I have decided on substrate, decorations, and plants. I have my airpump, but now I need an airstone.
I know the goldfish need more oxygen, which means I need more gas exchange, which I believe means I need finer bubbles. Besides, small bubbles look nicer. I suppose I could go for MORE large bubbles with one of those bars that you can shape?

So, are there any brands/types of airstones that produce a higher quality bubble? I know they make them out of a couple of different materials, but I don't know what would work best.

The best airstones are the multi-coloured plastic ones that can be taken apart, cleaned and put back together. The good versions of these have a small weight in the bottom piece that holds the airstone down.

These plastic multi-coloured airstones put the least amount of back pressure on the air pump so the diaphragm lasts longer and is less likely to split, and they provide lots of bubbles to create water movement and aeration.

Avoid wooden airstones and really fine sand airstones because they put lots of back pressure on the airpump and the very fine airbubbles produced by them can adversely affect the fish.

Did you find what you were looking for?
Yeah. Inordered some of the plastic "no clog" airstones from aquarium co-op. They let you adjust the size of the bubbles.

Yeah. Inordered some of the plastic "no clog" airstones from aquarium co-op. They let you adjust the size of the bubbles.

Wow, I didn't know there was such a thing. Interesting construction.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't there was such a thing. Interesting construction.
Yeah, layers of plastic discs, I think. Tighten it and you get finer bubbles, loosen it and you get larger bubbles.

Yeah, layers of plastic discs, I think. Tighten it and you get finer bubbles, loosen it and you get larger bubbles.

Looks good for an iso tank sponge filter. I'm going to source some iso tank parts from Corey, just to spread it around some.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back