Finding Ammonia In The Uk

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

No idea if Tesco stock it; never heard of them having it, but it could be worth a look.

It is getting hard to buy as it can be used as in ingerdient in making explosives for terrorist bombs, apparently :(

But I can still buy fertiliser & bleach?

:blink:

Mola

I tried the Robert Dyas product and it was so weak I too rang them to ask about it.

They were very vague, didn't want to answer the question and when I said that if they were selling a product and couldn't tell me the strength I would get on to trading standards, they said it was 10% by weight.

It isn't.

I calculated I needed something like 200mls to raise my 125l to 5ppm.....

I went to Boots in the end.

HTH

Ps if anyone is near Gatwick and wants my boots one they can have it as I am done.

I calculated I needed something like 200mls to raise my 125l to 5ppm.....

Thanks Claire.

I didn't fully understand what the manufacturer meant when they said "1 to 10%", but I suppose that they mean it could be anywhere between 1% and 10%.

I got the tank up to 4ppm of ammonia last night, which took 19ml (rather than an estimated 4ml, assuming 10%). I suppose that probably indicates that the strength of the ammonia I bought was about 2%.

Anyway, the bottle is 500ml, so I suppose that will be plenty for me to do a full cycle.

Mola, if you're up to it, you should give trading standards a call.. that's appalling!

I just ended up buying this one as Boots didn't stock it :( I was a bit doubtful about getting it but I'm on day two of my qualifying week and only have enough boots ammonia for this evenings dose. Grr! Guess I'll be off to return it tomorrow and get mine from Homebase instead!

I was wondering, is it safe to post Ammonia? I still have lots left from my fishless cycle as my tank cycled in record breaking time, and would be happy to send it to someone else (if they pay postage costs). It's Homebase Ammonia

I was wondering, is it safe to post Ammonia?

yes its safe to post(really tape the lid down, and triple bag it).
I refuse to go on a wild goose chase(petrol isn't cheap these days), looking for this ammonia, and i bought mine online, and they sent it to me - safely, well sealed, so that the poor postie doesn't get a shock.There was a tiny trickle inside the jiffy bag, but not enough, to wet the envelope. care opening the envelope though. That stuff makes my eyes water & my sinuses explode.

I recall, it was £2 ish postage for a 500ml bottle.

I was wondering, is it safe to post Ammonia?

yes its safe to post(really tape the lid down, and triple bag it).
I refuse to go on a wild goose chase(petrol isn't cheap these days), looking for this ammonia, and i bought mine online, and they sent it to me - safely, well sealed, so that the poor postie doesn't get a shock.There was a tiny trickle inside the jiffy bag, but not enough, to wet the envelope. care opening the envelope though. That stuff makes my eyes water & my sinuses explode.

I recall, it was £2 ish postage for a 500ml bottle.

Bargain, I still have 80% of a bottle, but will never need it again even with a new tank - loads of mature media now...

Paul.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back