Finally went fishing today! (Photo)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Today I finally got to go out fishing! I caught one and half fish 😂. The half is because I hooked one but right before I could get my hands on it, it flipped off the hook... Overall I enjoyed being out on the river docks just casting and seeing the water.
1655412139487.jpg

Last edited:
What sort of fish?

Do you use barbless hooks?
They do less damage to the fish than normal barbed hooks. You can use a pr of pliers to bend the barb down on a normal hook so they are close to barbless.

What sort of fish?

Do you use barbless hooks?
They do less damage to the fish than normal barbed hooks. You can use a pr of pliers to bend the barb down on a normal hook so they are close to barbless.
Looks to be part of the bluegill family... Very pretty.

I do keep barbs on but I do really well about taking them out as gently as possible...
It helps keep the fish on as well once its hooked. Cause smooth hooks= easy slip off (kinda)

Barbless hooks do way less damage to the fish and that means any fish you release has more chance of surviving and less chance of dying from an infection caused by having a big hole torn in its mouth.

Barbless hooks do way less damage to the fish and that means any fish you release has more chance of surviving and less chance of dying from an infection caused by having a big hole torn in its mouth.
The fish in there will most likely die in a few months... So much polution. Looks nice until you hold one and then oil from jets go all over your hands. (Its right by a airport that somehow gets fuel and oil into the river :/ 🤔)

My dad removes his barbs... I may try it but then the hook has to set more in the mouth.
Ive removed barbed hooks so many times that its no issue for me and I can take it out in 5 seconds or less once I have a hold of the fish

Using a barbless hook is what separates the real fishermen from the rest of us. Takes finesse.
Yeh... Gotta fight it! 😅 But I dont like hurting them... Ive always been able to take a barbed hook out with ease and they rarely get stuck, stuck... I only have issues if the fish literally swallows it! Then its the fish's fault and in like: "Bro, why you do this"

Looks like a Black Crappie. Used to fish a lot when I was younger but haven't been for many years.

Edit to add: caught a nice looking fish, good size too.

The fish in there will most likely die in a few months... So much polution. Looks nice until you hold one and then oil from jets go all over your hands. (Its right by a airport that somehow gets fuel and oil into the river :/ 🤔)
Most aircraft dump most of the remaining fuel before they land. They usually do it over water or areas that aren't populated by people. It's to reduce the risk of fire if they crash on landing. There is less fuel to burn so less chance of killing everyone on board.

Most aircraft dump most of the remaining fuel before they land. They usually do it over water or areas that aren't populated by people. It's to reduce the risk of fire if they crash on landing. There is less fuel to burn so less chance of killing everyone on board.
You would think in this day and age they would be clever enough to calculate how much fuel they need, and in the worst-case scenario they ditch the plane because it has no fuel. At least that way it minimizes pollution.

They do calculate how much fuel is needed but always add extra in case they have to circle the airport for an hour or so before landing, or if they are diverted somewhere else or have to fly around a storm. It's just better to have extra fuel in an aircraft rather than run out before you land.

Any pollutants from an airport are unavoidable.

Wash off from taxiways, runways and gates after rainfall inevitably gets into the rivers and streams around airports, especially after very heavy or prolonged rainfall

Airports have special pools to collect the run off but they are frequently missed by the rainfall wash....usually due to being in the wrong place or sediment build up in gullies leading to the pools

There is a legal maximum allowed of pollutants around airports. The local environmental department will be able to give you those and they will, if requested by either the public and/or the airport do extra testing, again especially after heavy or prolonged rainfall. Airport environmental personnel work alongside the State authority and are duty bound to test all local water courses and drinking water wells on a 4 to 6 week basis. Any infraction on the legal maximum allowable always results in very heavy fines...worst case scenario if the usual process has been ignored or test results are not improving sufficiently can lead to the temporary shutdown of the airport til the issues are resolved

A big problem at airports in recent months (same goes with both private and military too) is that due to the pandemic, the airports have been less active, staffing has been stood down so many are in catch up mode now. This can often mean that environmentally sensitive work can go lower on the list of priorities. Airports need revenue first, environmentals take a back seat til everything is back up and running and staffing levels are back to being pre-pandemic levels.

I would not recommend eating any fish caught in waterways close to an airport (or any other industrial facility) for at least a year since all environmental aspects are very much on the back burner for the time being whilst everyone gets back to normal working levels.

Any pollutants from an airport are unavoidable.

Wash off from taxiways, runways and gates after rainfall inevitably gets into the rivers and streams around airports, especially after very heavy or prolonged rainfall

Airports have special pools to collect the run off but they are frequently missed by the rainfall wash....usually due to being in the wrong place or sediment build up in gullies leading to the pools

There is a legal maximum allowed of pollutants around airports. The local environmental department will be able to give you those and they will, if requested by either the public and/or the airport do extra testing, again especially after heavy or prolonged rainfall. Airport environmental personnel work alongside the State authority and are duty bound to test all local water courses and drinking water wells on a 4 to 6 week basis. Any infraction on the legal maximum allowable always results in very heavy fines...worst case scenario if the usual process has been ignored or test results are not improving sufficiently can lead to the temporary shutdown of the airport til the issues are resolved

A big problem at airports in recent months (same goes with both private and military too) is that due to the pandemic, the airports have been less active, staffing has been stood down so many are in catch up mode now. This can often mean that environmentally sensitive work can go lower on the list of priorities. Airports need revenue first, environmentals take a back seat til everything is back up and running and staffing levels are back to being pre-pandemic levels.

I would not recommend eating any fish caught in waterways close to an airport (or any other industrial facility) for at least a year since all environmental aspects are very much on the back burner for the time being whilst everyone gets back to normal working levels.
Yah, I never want to eat a fish from that part of the river... Its just too dirty

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back