Finally The Way I Like It

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ryguy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Here is the link to the video I have finally made to show what my tank now looks like. My icon picture is the before and the video is my tank now. I just love how it looks. Sorry for the poor video quality, but I lack a good video camera so using my phone and my laptop I tried my best. Let me know what you think :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrMuwCaupA

That looks great :good: What size tank? Stocking? Filtration? etc.....

Thanks.

looks amazing, although that wacking great pipe at the back could do with hididng.

doris

Thanks for the replies. I have a fluval 305 canister filter. I have the basic lighting and heater that came with the tank. The tank is 55 gallons. My stocking is as following:1 snow white socofoli (male,now almost 4 years old), 1 Labidochromis caeruleus (I am getting two more soon. 2 females), 2 Labidochromis hongi, 1 red zebra, 1 Tropheus moori (I am getting another female next week), 1 common plecs, one syno (unsure of the species of syno), 2 copadichromis borleyi, and 3 hyb rids due to unintended breeding. I take about 50% water change once every week or two and feed them a variety of pelets and veggie flakes. As for the giant pipe, that is part of my filter and I just don't know where to hide it at. I like the open space there so I will have to ficure out something, but in person it really isn't bad at all and blends in with the background.

Also, does anyone have expierence with shell dwellers. I have another 29 gallon, I have 2, which I want to make into a shell dwelling tank. Is there a possibility that I could make a realistic rock formation in the back that hase hollowed in cliffs where I could put more shells and such to make the fish use more of the tank because I know they like to remain in the lower parts of the tank. I was thinking of getting lamprologus ocellatus "gold" but I am not sure of the number of them I will get yet. Anyone think this would be a coo idea?

Like I said, it looks great. I'm shooting for a similar look when I do mine. I don't really have a problem with filter pipe. At least it's black and kinda gets lost. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to hide it but no biggie.

Whats the rock formation called ?- newb question

Do you mean what type of rocks are those? Well they are a whole bunch of texas holey rock. Here in Chicago though the rocks are very expensive ($7 per pound) so I have invested a lot of money in those rocks, but they are a type of limestone. Limestone is great in cichlid tanks because it leaks things into the water raising the ph which is needed. They also create tons of caves and because of cichlids distinct personalities, you can find that each of them finds their own caves and acts as though it is their home. Great rocks and perfect for african cichlids. Also in case you are wondering, I am using just plain regular play sand. I was sick of the crushed coral as it irritated my cichlids so I went in my shed and happened to find play sand. I cleaned it off and it works like a charm. You aren't limited to the type of sand really though because you can also use pool filter sand which is normally more white, or you can even go with ocean sands or argonite (maybe i spelled that wrong) as these types of sands also help because they raise the ph as well. Good luck and can't wait to see you tank when it is up and running.

Also, does anyone have expierence with shell dwellers. I have another 29 gallon, I have 2, which I want to make into a shell dwelling tank. Is there a possibility that I could make a realistic rock formation in the back that hase hollowed in cliffs where I could put more shells and such to make the fish use more of the tank because I know they like to remain in the lower parts of the tank. I was thinking of getting lamprologus ocellatus "gold" but I am not sure of the number of them I will get yet. Anyone think this would be a coo idea?

Not sure if they would use the shells higher up, they usually bury their shells in the sand for protection. If you are wanting some more activity higher up there are some Lake Tangs species that are mid to upper dwellers. :good:

Thanks for the input :) I hope to get started on mine in the next few weeks. I have to make room for it still.

Do you mean what type of rocks are those? Well they are a whole bunch of texas holey rock. Here in Chicago though the rocks are very expensive ($7 per pound) so I have invested a lot of money in those rocks, but they are a type of limestone. Limestone is great in cichlid tanks because it leaks things into the water raising the ph which is needed. They also create tons of caves and because of cichlids distinct personalities, you can find that each of them finds their own caves and acts as though it is their home. Great rocks and perfect for african cichlids. Also in case you are wondering, I am using just plain regular play sand. I was sick of the crushed coral as it irritated my cichlids so I went in my shed and happened to find play sand. I cleaned it off and it works like a charm. You aren't limited to the type of sand really though because you can also use pool filter sand which is normally more white, or you can even go with ocean sands or argonite (maybe i spelled that wrong) as these types of sands also help because they raise the ph as well. Good luck and can't wait to see you tank when it is up and running.

Yep....THR is very expensive. It traps fish poop and is best avoided. Humans like the look of it and the fish suffer

Yep....THR is very expensive. It traps fish poop and is best avoided. Humans like the look of it and the fish suffer
The fish suffer through having holey rock ? explain maybe if you lack maintenance in your tank they could suffer most people recommend holey rock for a cichlid tank though

The fish suffer through having holey rock ? explain maybe if you lack maintenance in your tank they could suffer most people recommend holey rock for a cichlid tank though

The holey rock is perfect for cichlids. The holes may trap some poop but activity from the fish will carry some out and reagular tank maintenece will basically eliminate any of those problems. It is highly recommended and there are only benefits when using it for a cichlid tank

Holey Rock is also perfect for harbouring beneficial bacteria....much like it does in Marine tanks where filters are not used so any fish poop 'trapped' is no big deal whatsoever.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back