Finally tearing down ugly 57g, building new 36g to replace it!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Urgh. Pro-shrimp agreed to send me another cup of the red root floaters for free with my last order, since the previous two batches I bought melted back to nothing within days. This time, again, I put them in a breeder box away from any other plants and any surface disturbance, the opposite side of the tank from the filter. But despite my being hopeful for a day or two, they've again mostly all melted away to nothing. I officially give up on red root floaters! Sucks, I really wanted a different floating plant in this tank, but can't find anything I'm doing wrong, or a more suitable source with larger plants that's shrimp safe.
Same thing happened to the water sprite I tried....I have had zero luck with floating plants, was thinking of trying the RRFs next, but would probably have the same luck as you...

Same thing happened to the water sprite I tried....I have had zero luck with floating plants, was thinking of trying the RRFs next, but would probably have the same luck as you...
Dang, water sprite is meant to be really easy as well! I'm sorry. I have some water sprite too from the same order, since I wanted fast growing plants to help with overstocked tank, but I don't have it floating.

According to the folks at pro-shrimp, RRF are the trickiest floater. So maybe try some amazon frogbit next? That's the one I've found to be easiest, compared to water lettuce and RRF anyway. I've never tried the salvinia, maybe I'll try salvinia for this tank at some point if I can't source larger RRF plants from ebay or another hobbyist or something.

@AdoraBelle Dearheart How do feel about pest snails? If you don't mind them I can send you some of my thinnings - once the weather cools a bit or they'll be cooked in transit. It grows very well in my tanks, though as I've mentioned before we have different water which might make a difference.

Urgh. Pro-shrimp agreed to send me another cup of the red root floaters for free with my last order, since the previous two batches I bought melted back to nothing within days. This time, again, I put them in a breeder box away from any other plants and any surface disturbance, the opposite side of the tank from the filter. But despite my being hopeful for a day or two, they've again mostly all melted away to nothing. I officially give up on red root floaters! Sucks, I really wanted a different floating plant in this tank, but can't find anything I'm doing wrong, or a more suitable source with larger plants that's shrimp safe.
They melted for me as well... But I think it was because my surface agitation was too high

@AdoraBelle Dearheart How do feel about pest snails? If you don't mind them I can send you some of my thinnings - once the weather cools a bit or they'll be cooked in transit. It grows very well in my tanks, though as I've mentioned before we have different water which might make a difference.
Oh my goodness, I would LOVE that! If you really don't mind? Definitely agree that would be best when the weather is cooler for sure! I can happily send you some different plant trimmings in return! I don't mind pest snails at all, I have MTS and tiny ramshorns, and if they're bladder snails, even better, because they're kinda adorable :D
Thank you so much! Just let me know when the hot weather has broken and when you have some to spare, and I've included a full plant list above if there's any of those that you'd like some of!

Same here. They keep dying! I have a few struggling plants now that seem like they might make it. TIme will tell...
The only real floater I can keep alive in my tank so far is Salvinia minima. Have you tried that?

Same here. They keep dying! I have a few struggling plants now that seem like they might make it. TIme will tell...
The only real floater I can keep alive in my tank so far is Salvinia minima. Have you tried that?
I'm sorry you're experiencing the same thing!
I've been fine with amazon frogbit, water lettuce, and (urgh) duckweed. RRF failed, haven't tried salvinia yet though!

@AdoraBelle Dearheart I'll pm you when I think it's safe to post - I'll need your address.

I have both tiny ramshorns and pond/bladder/tadpole snails (of the physid variety) so there could be both hiding in the plants.
Of course, and thank you so much, again! ❤️
I don't mind snails, they're all part of the ecosystem! Heck, please throw some bladder snails in there, I actually like em :lol:

Welp, time to close this journal, thank you again to everyone who gave such useful advice, support etc! Learned a lot that I plan to apply to new project, since I'm tearing down this 36g and replacing it with a 63g, yay! Will start a new journal for that one. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back