Finally Started My Nano Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PaBucsFan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I finally started my saltwater tank. I will be buying the live rock later today or tomorrow. I currently have a 10 gallon tank running with sand and saltwater only so far. I do have problem that I feel I am overlooking the answer too. My pH is currently at 7.4...What can I use safely raise the pH before bringing the LR home and purchasing fish?

So I finally started my saltwater tank. I will be buying the live rock later today or tomorrow. I currently have a 10 gallon tank running with sand and saltwater only so far. I do have problem that I feel I am overlooking the answer too. My pH is currently at 7.4...What can I use safely raise the pH before bringing the LR home and purchasing fish?

What is your salinity? 7.4 is a bit low but could be due to a number or reasons. What time of day did you test it? PH can go up and down during the day. This is usually due to the livestock though so in a bare tank I wouldn't expect this. I personally wouldn't try to mess with it (its hard to balance it out and keep it stable). If it was me I would check the SG is correct and if it is test the PH through the day at different times. if it still isn't right then I would get a different brand of salt mix and make up some new water. My PH when I used to use instant ocean salt never went above 7.8 so some salt mixes will give you a lower PH.

Do you have a powerhead yet because you need movement on the surface which will help the ph to rise also using chaeto could work. Salinity should be around 1.023 to 1.025 normally is best.
Which equipment do you have already for this setup? Are you thinking about running a protein skimmer?

Remember not to rush in to buying Live stock before you have the essential equipment.

the substrate can also affect the ph?

what livestock do you propose to keep. 10gallons is very small for saltwater, I have a 2g tank and its difficult keeping paramaters right

the substrate can also affect the ph?

what livestock do you propose to keep. 10gallons is very small for saltwater, I have a 2g tank and its difficult keeping paramaters right

I think that was a typo from Simonas, I think he has a 20ish gallon tank, around 25usg

He is correct though in the small tanks the water perameters can swing very suddenly and keeping them stable means you have to be dilligent.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back