Finally my cory catfish are breeding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Derekshatch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Last time I wss breeding them I dident have a male so they werent fertile but this time I know they are because she is doing the thing with the male. I am so excited I love cory catfish and I was disappointed last time but hopefully this time they hatch. This time the eggs are alot more firm compared to last time which im guessing is a good thing.

Make sure if you collect the eggs, place them in a container with water from the parents tank. Add a few drops of methylene blue or pop in a couple alder cones. This is to prevent fungus (you will still get some fungus, so check often and remove).
Make sure you got an airstone in the container too.

I can also put a breeder box into the tank and put some eggs into it so just incase one batch gets ruined the other one might be ok. It is ok to put them into a breeder box? Also I am using my finger to collect them is that ok because I always squish them with the credit card?

I had an easy time using my finger to collect them. Mine preferred plant leaves, you could also just snip the leaf off if they laid any in plants. But gently roll them off the glass with your finger :)

And be warned with a breeder box... when the eggs hatch, the fry can fit through the holes of the box and end up eaten by the other fish in the tank.

A closed off container can be floated in the tank, though. Just use an airstone. Once fry hatch, change the water daily, very important for them.

But it may be easier to just keep a small container on the outside of the tank (depending on cory species you may not need a heater), change the water daily, and once the fry are too large to fit through the breeder box holes, then maybe they could be moved back.

Or, set up a tote bin as a fry grow out. Cheap and functional!

They are bronze/albino corys so i think they dont need a heater.

Will the baby corys be albino or normal because the female is an albino and the male is a regular bronze cory.

No you should be good then setting up a plastic tote.

A 20g tote would be best, but keep the eggs and young fry in a smaller container for now.

Right now i got trilineatus eggs in a 3g tote, inside a half gallon tote with just an airstone.

An airstone will be fine until the fry are a bit larger and you can add a cycled sponge filter.

Do you got food for them?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back