🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Leemw87

Reaction score
Finally cycled and got x3 plattys to start with 😁😁😁

Attachments

• IMG-20211023-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20211023-WA0003.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 74
Very nice and well done for completing what I assume was a fishless cycle :good:

It certainly was and it was frustrating at times not having fish but worth it now 👌

Yep, can take a while to do a cycle.
I am in middle of doing a Fishless cycling a tank myself but thing is, I enjoy cycling tanks from scratch, call me weird if you like but find it enjoyable!

What else are you planning to add to the tank?

Yep, can take a while to do a cycle.
I am in middle of doing a Fishless cycling a tank myself but thing is, I enjoy cycling tanks from scratch, call me weird if you like but find it enjoyable!

What else are you planning to add to the tank?
10 neon tetras
A pair of dwarf gourami
Bristle nose plec

Does that seek realistic for 100 litres?

10 neon tetras
A pair of dwarf gourami
Bristle nose plec

Seems reasonable, but you're gonna want to add the pleco last, and maybe halve the tetra number to 5, as plecos make a lot of waste.

10 neon tetras
A pair of dwarf gourami
Bristle nose plec

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, most tetras, barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

--------------------
Avoid dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and their colour varieties because they regularly have health issues (gourami iridovirus and fish TB) that cannot be treated. There are plenty of other small gouramis that don't have these issues but it depends on the GH and pH of your water, as to whether you can keep them.

I do 50/50 mix of RO and tap water. Not sure of dimensions but its an aquanano 60 100 litre. Thanks for the advice ill avoid dwarf gourami. What are the other small variants and would female betta be ok in community tank

Can you do without the pleco?
Just wondering, I don't have experience with them but seems a bit much. Think of how much space the others would enjoy.
Also, maintenance may be a bit easier for you.

Current shot of my aquanano 60

3 German flag platties
5 neon tetras
1 bristle nose plec
1 zebra loach

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

All levels holding steady and everyone is active eating well and happy 😊

Also running a extra external filter to keep things extra clean 👌

Attachments

• 20211102_181515.jpg
    20211102_181515.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20211102_181821.jpg
    20211102_181821.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20211102_181827.jpg
    20211102_181827.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20211102_181515.jpg
    20211102_181515.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 50
Current shot of my aquanano 60

3 German flag platties
5 neon tetras
1 bristle nose plec
1 zebra loach

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

The loach needs friends and a longer tank, I reccomend you return it as this tank is too small and it does better with others of its species, and you won't be able to keep any more in there.

Unfortunately, that 'happy' is your own hopeful perception.
As @Tacocat says, if you saw that loach in a bigger tank, with a healthy bunch of its buddies and doing what it was meant to be doing, I think you'd be surprised at the difference in behaviour and be able to review your 'happy' assessment somewhat. ;)

The tetras should really be in a shoal of at least six.

All an extra filter will do is remove any material waste. It won't really affect your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. Your plethora of plastic plants and ornaments will, along with the substrate, provide surfaces for the beneficial bacteria to grow on, but otherwise, these won't really help manage your toxic nitrogen waste products as well as live plants, nor will they provide much by way of security. Whilst the fish will be able to hide behind them, their plastic nature will prevent safe passage through them.

Nothing like friendly constructive criticism...

Not pedantic and arrogant at all🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫

Nothing like friendly constructive criticism...

Not pedantic and arrogant at all🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫
There's nothing 'pedantic' when it comes to fish welfare and if arrogance is how you perceive being told something you didn't know, then so be it.
If I was being totally open and honest, I would've remarked on how your focus appeared to be for pretty things in a tank, with no regard whatsoever for the fish you were taking responsibility for.
I'm done here.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back