Finally First Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GJF

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So finally finished my cycling and a few days ago there got my first fish, three zebra danios!

Since adding them the water parameters have all stayed stable which can only be a good thing!

I have a 125 litre tank so planning to add another three. Just wanted some advice as to how long I should wait between adding some new fish and is it normal for danios to chase each other? Especially the more golden coloured one which i believe is the Male chasing the two more silver ones which I believe are the females?

Thanks Guys!
20200320_180916.jpg
20200319_203843.jpg

Attachments

• 20200321_181625.jpg
    20200321_181625.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200321_182205.jpg
    20200321_182205.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 54
If you did a fishless cycle, you can add almost all your planned fish immediately. There are some species that do better added to a mature tank so they have to wait.
I would get the rest of the danios now. It is usually better to get the whole shoal of shoaling fish at the same time.

I agree. Generally speaking, with a shoaling species--meaning all characins (tetras, pencilfish, hatchetfish), most cyprinids which includes danios, rasboras, barbs, loaches, Corydoras and some catfish, rainbowfish--always add the entire intended group at the same time. The fish will settle in much faster and better with less chance of disease (like ich) as this reduces stress much faster. It also deals with aggression in species where this may be a feature.

I would get the remaining danios ASAP. You intend six, and that's minimum, but seven or eight might be better. Remember this is a very active swimmer, so no sedate fish can be added to this tank. Other fish will need to be relatively active or they will have trouble.

I agree with @Byron and @essjay when I started out with my tetra tank I bought each shoal together I did not add another shoal until a week or two later. I try to have 10 or more in each shoal.

The chasing will slow down when the numbers are increased:)

Thanks again everyone, managed to make it to the local store before it shut due to this coronavirus. Decided more would be better so got another 5 to go with my initial 3, acclimating them just now!

Most reactions

Back