Finally decided... your opinions please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Forgot to reply to your question about the humming of pumps. There is nothing better! I fall asleep every night to the sound of sponge filters in my breeder bin and quarantine tank, absolutely love it! I once lived in a caravan for a year and the best sleeps i had were when I fell asleep to rain tapping on the roof. Perhaps its engraved in us from our time in the womb :rofl:

oh man that sound is to die for, my mum has a conservatory, when it rains I pop in there and an hour later my mum comes and wakes me up lol. there's nothing like it. Also the sound of wind as it blows through trees too.

I've had live bearers spontaneously escape through the little cut on the corner of a lid for cables. I have no idea how they managed! I put a load of Salvinia in after that and been safe ever since. You're right about floating plants
If they weren't already dead you could kill them couldn't you! I suppose the real test for the makeshift cover for the gap at the back of my fry tank will come when the fry get rehomed and if my sister's boyfriend hasn't got his tank ready by then the big female will be moving in there by herself until she can go to him because her idea of courtship is battering the males and surprisingly they don't like that.
I was thinking of a hang on the back filter, or should I ignore that and just get an air filter? I am getting frogbit on the top as well, so that'll help. Betta's kind of sound like the naughty child... always up to no good, but not exactly "crossing the line" lol.

Lol I should, though she cooks for me, I'd wither away and die without her lol. If the boss says downsize, then do it... just get rid of ten tanks and replace it with a 500gal, I doubt they'd notice, only problem is the amount of dividers you'd have to put in there for the bettas lol.

Ah so mainly sell to other people, or LFS if they're willing. It's something to look into should the need arise, I'd like to say it wont, but... we all got our urges I guess.
My 29 gallon is a Juwel Primo 110 so that came with a built in filter and they seem to cope with that, I've got the outlet turned to the tank wall to reduce the flow a bit and the masses of floating plants also slow it down. The fry tank has a small hang on the back filter that I got from maidenhead aquatics, I can't remember the brand off the top of my head but it has a spray bar attachment and I can really adjust the flow on it so that's been fine for me and the fry.

I was thinking of a hang on the back filter, or should I ignore that and just get an air filter? I am getting frogbit on the top as well, so that'll help. Betta's kind of sound like the naughty child... always up to no good, but not exactly "crossing the line" lol.

Lol I should, though she cooks for me, I'd wither away and die without her lol. If the boss says downsize, then do it... just get rid of ten tanks and replace it with a 500gal, I doubt they'd notice, only problem is the amount of dividers you'd have to put in there for the bettas lol.

Ah so mainly sell to other people, or LFS if they're willing. It's something to look into should the need arise, I'd like to say it wont, but... we all got our urges I guess.
I use sponge filters in pretty much all of my tanks. I've only just started replacing the existing filters I had with them and they've been great. Plus they're soooooo much cheaper than most filters.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, I'm in the same boat! And if only I had the room for a divided 500G. Definetly on the list if I ever win the lottery!

Yeah, that's probably the easiest way, shipping is expensive and can be problematic so try to sell locally or within a radius that you're happy to personally deliver fish in, that's what I do. A bloke I work with used to sell guppies to his LFS for 10p each aslong as they were atleast an inch in length lol. I'd also say that you should try to have interest in the fish your selling before you breed it if that makes sense or atleast have enough tanks to house them if you can't sell them right away. I've heard stories of fish being flushed because the breeder didn't have customers once he'd bred fish. Always good to ask a LFS what they sell most too and then breed what's popular in your area. No point breeding sharks if people want guppies lol

oh man that sound is to die for, my mum has a conservatory, when it rains I pop in there and an hour later my mum comes and wakes me up lol. there's nothing like it. Also the sound of wind as it blows through trees too.
It's the simple things in life!

If they weren't already dead you could kill them couldn't you! I suppose the real test for the makeshift cover for the gap at the back of my fry tank will come when the fry get rehomed and if my sister's boyfriend hasn't got his tank ready by then the big female will be moving in there by herself until she can go to him because her idea of courtship is battering the males and surprisingly they don't like that.

My 29 gallon is a Juwel Primo 110 so that came with a built in filter and they seem to cope with that, I've got the outlet turned to the tank wall to reduce the flow a bit and the masses of floating plants also slow it down. The fry tank has a small hang on the back filter that I got from maidenhead aquatics, I can't remember the brand off the top of my head but it has a spray bar attachment and I can really adjust the flow on it so that's been fine for me and the fry.
Arghhh it's so frustrating! And yeah that'll be a test! Some females can just be extremely grumpy and would rather eat.. we all know fish aren't too different :rofl:

Thats the biggest point to be made too, controlling flow is absolutely essential! Every airline hose I have running has those valve taps (or whatever their actual name is) connected to them

they are some good idea's. I do have an internal in there at the moment with a spray bar, I've only got the tank half filled (just keeping the media wet) yet the force of the filter is quite strong, I was thinking maybe it wouldn't be suitable for Betta's, plus I don't want the oto's trying to eat off the pump and getting stuck/pulled up through the inlet. I might be over-reacting but I really want to minimise anything that would make them uncomfortable/pose a danger. I think I will go with a sponge filter.. would that be all I need combined with the plants I mentioned in the OP?

I use sponge filters in pretty much all of my tanks. I've only just started replacing the existing filters I had with them and they've been great. Plus they're soooooo much cheaper than most filters.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, I'm in the same boat! And if only I had the room for a divided 500G. Definetly on the list if I ever win the lottery!

Yeah, that's probably the easiest way, shipping is expensive and can be problematic so try to sell locally or within a radius that you're happy to personally deliver fish in, that's what I do. A bloke I work with used to sell guppies to his LFS for 10p each aslong as they were atleast an inch in length lol. I'd also say that you should try to have interest in the fish your selling before you breed it if that makes sense or atleast have enough tanks to house them if you can't sell them right away. I've heard stories of fish being flushed because the breeder didn't have customers once he'd bred fish. Always good to ask a LFS what they sell most too and then breed what's popular in your area. No point breeding sharks if people want guppies lol

So sponge seems like the way to go.

I don't think I will ever likely to purposely breed fish. I'm just after giving some little guys a home where they can chill out and have some way of life. I have a small house too, so extra tanks isn't something I can really look into, I could possibly get away with a 2 foot, but I think that would be my limit along with my current two. So yeah, if the magic happens, then there's nothing I can do to stop it, the most I can do is sit them down and tell them about the birds and the bees, and hope they listen.

Haha, you're hoping to win the lottery too eh? I must say that line everyweek "perhaps if I win the lottery" I mean, it would help if I put the lottery on lol!

Arghhh it's so frustrating! And yeah that'll be a test! Some females can just be extremely grumpy and would rather eat.. we all know fish aren't too different :rofl:
Oh no she's keen and ready to go but has decided neither male is up to par anymore when they tried courting her so then she batters them. She has spawned once but she was smaller then, she had a growth spurt and now she's bigger than both the males hence why she's getting rehomed.

they are some good idea's. I do have an internal in there at the moment with a spray bar, I've only got the tank half filled (just keeping the media wet) yet the force of the filter is quite strong, I was thinking maybe it wouldn't be suitable for Betta's, plus I don't want the oto's trying to eat off the pump and getting stuck/pulled up through the inlet. I might be over-reacting but I really want to minimise anything that would make them uncomfortable/pose a danger. I think I will go with a sponge filter.. would that be all I need combined with the plants I mentioned in the OP?

So sponge seems like the way to go.

I don't think I will ever likely to purposely breed fish. I'm just after giving some little guys a home where they can chill out and have some way of life. I have a small house too, so extra tanks isn't something I can really look into, I could possibly get away with a 2 foot, but I think that would be my limit along with my current two. So yeah, if the magic happens, then there's nothing I can do to stop it, the most I can do is sit them down and tell them about the birds and the bees, and hope they listen.

Haha, you're hoping to win the lottery too eh? I must say that line everyweek "perhaps if I win the lottery" I mean, it would help if I put the lottery on lol!
That should be fine.
You might find they will spawn anyway, mine bred on 3 separate occasions in the big tank with a total of 5 spawnings, 3 from one female and 1 each from the other 2 but never developed or the nest was destroyed by either the male or one of the other females. Finally got fry from the 2nd spawning in the breeding tank.

One tip on river rocks...pour a little hydrogen peroxide on them. If they bubble then they are not safe fir fish. If no bubbles, then OK to use. I use them in my tanks. Just wash very well first. :)

@Shiverz you could go with a placket betta they have short tails and are beautiful

I though the plakats were quite a fiesty variety?

One tip on river rocks...pour a little hydrogen peroxide on them. If they bubble then they are not safe fir fish. If no bubbles, then OK to use. I use them in my tanks. Just wash very well first. :)

Hydrogen peroxide eh? I'll have to buy some. sorry for my lack of knowledge... but why arer bubbles bad? is it because their could be bad stuff trapped inside the pores of the rock?

I must admit I've not heard of using hydrogen peroxide. The usual recommendation is to use an acid such as vinegar. If that causes bubbles it means the rock is made of calcium carbonate which will slowly dissolve in the tank water raising the GH (hardness).

Oops, my mind isn’t awake yet. My apologies. Yes, use vinegar. I used peroxide on some new plants yesterday and it just popped out of the old brain. Duh!

I though the plakats were quite a fiesty variety?

Hydrogen peroxide eh? I'll have to buy some. sorry for my lack of knowledge... but why arer bubbles bad? is it because their could be bad stuff trapped inside the pores of the rock?
Bettas are like humans they all have different personalities ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back