Finally back after a decades long absence.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Longislandguy

Reaction score
Figured with so much stress and anxiety in the world, what better time to get back into the hobby I so loved. Decided I try an “amazoneque” type of display.

while at Home Depot I noticed these white birch logs that are used for displays in people’s fireplaces. Thought it would look amazing to make it a central theme to the display.

so the wood has been kiln dried And us currently soaking in water.
two questions

is there a way to seal the wood in order to not lose the white texture if the bark without harming the fish?

lastly how do you recommend keeping the logs in place and not float?

thanks. Timmy

Attachments

• 547C0749-5923-451E-9C92-B2DC66D6562B.jpeg
    547C0749-5923-451E-9C92-B2DC66D6562B.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 72AF2406-CC84-431A-A0AE-4CB8A515FDF4.jpeg
    72AF2406-CC84-431A-A0AE-4CB8A515FDF4.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 107
I have some birch drift wood I was thinking of trying but not with the bark on. I have several birch trees and the bark peels off. There are waterproof sealers but I am not sure if they are fish safe.

Welcome! Glad to have you here. I don’t know much about birch but it does rot easily. @Byron can probably help.

There are two things here. First, the birch fireplace logs I assume are artificial, not real wood--I have fake "logs" in my gas fireplace that are concrete (or something). Second, actual birch wood.

I have always read that one should never use decor not specifically intended for an aquarium, so I cannot say anything about the fireplace "logs," other than, be careful.

As for real birch wood, I would have to dig around on this to be certain. It is a hard wood, and hard woods (non-fruit) tend to be safe, but the white bark does peel and I've no idea if this can cause issues for fish.

Hey all. Thanks for all the feedback. They are indeed real and were kiln dried. After contemplating, I decided against using the birch logs. Main reason being is that they are about 3”-4” in diameter and I think they would over power a display of a 50 gal high. If they were half the diameter, I’d try and make it work.

So keeping with the tree theme, I decided on going in a different direction. cringe worthy to some and the newest trend.... I know and I’m sorry. I’m a certified arborist and obviously love trees. Ive been keeping bonsais for over a decade. So yes I decided to make some bonsais for the display. I’m making them from scratch, with idea of a windswept look. It will be elevated, as if on a cliff, and have that windswept look you see of trees living in those conditions.

just did some shopping today and made the first step. Using Manzanita attached to a piece of dragon rock. I’ll post progress pics if anyone is interested. Also I plan on doing a diary of the build as well.

thanks look forward to everyone input and help.be safe out there. Stay home and play with your fish.
best. T

Attachments

• A33AD421-BD17-4FA1-AD2D-EC166F62F8B1.jpeg
    A33AD421-BD17-4FA1-AD2D-EC166F62F8B1.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 133
  • E018C4E6-2C49-4312-BCF2-3DA2D6D808B9.jpeg
    E018C4E6-2C49-4312-BCF2-3DA2D6D808B9.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 15CF0D61-363C-4B19-AAA5-FECEBB72F4EC.jpeg
    15CF0D61-363C-4B19-AAA5-FECEBB72F4EC.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 93
Hey all. Thanks for all the feedback. They are indeed real and were kiln dried. After contemplating, I decided against using the birch logs. Main reason being is that they are about 3”-4” in diameter and I think they would over power a display of a 50 gal high. If they were half the diameter, I’d try and make it work.

So keeping with the tree theme, I decided on going in a different direction. cringe worthy to some and the newest trend.... I know and I’m sorry. I’m a certified arborist and obviously love trees. Ive been keeping bonsais for over a decade. So yes I decided to make some bonsais for the display. I’m making them from scratch, with idea of a windswept look. It will be elevated, as if on a cliff, and have that windswept look you see of trees living in those conditions.

just did some shopping today and made the first step. Using Manzanita attached to a piece of dragon rock. I’ll post progress pics if anyone is interested. Also I plan on doing a diary of the build as well.

thanks look forward to everyone input and help.be safe out there. Stay home and play with your fish.
best. T
This sounds like it will look amazing. Keep us posted!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back