Fin Types.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sask Aquarist

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
With betta's there are multiple different fin types (Crowntail,half moon etc...) Out of curiosity how exactly do they get these fin types?..Is it a genetic mutation that is isolated then bred out until you get fry that are all of that fin type? Or is it a human engineered type that is eventually bred out and sold? Does it occur naturally in only betta's?

I have no idea I just think its when you breed one male betta who has a certain fin type and color to a female who has a different color and you get what comes out, a mixture!
I dont think this belongs in the hybrid section though...

Pretty much everything about betta splendens is caused by genetic mutations. Bettas in common trade look nothing like bettas in the wild. Even the more clean looking bettas like veil tails and half moons are just genetic mutations, and so are all the colors that come from them. Same goes for fancy goldfish. Fish just start looking different after being kept in captivity for a long amount of time. People breed them, find an interesting genetic mutation, and pull that one out and breed it with another with a similar mutation, and it becomes common. and that's how it works to my understanding.

So it theory its just a mutation of a strain or from in breeding they get a different type of tail fin? I can see it if its a mutation singled out and then just bred out until you get the desired type but what about other fish? how come only betta's get the different fin types? Is it possible to have other fish genetically mutate after a extended period of time to get a different type or maybe even a different color variation?

There has been other fish that developed fin types. The mutations are generally a recessive trait, which is why it shows in inbred fish. There has been some veil tail flowerhorns but it looked disgusting. There has been FH without a dorsal fin. There has been a mutation in jaguar cichlid where it had no pelvic fins. Many times when a mutation occurs it will go unnoticed for a long time because they are just the deformed rejects and are culled right away.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back