Fin Rot

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Gloworm34

Reaction score
F6BE98D2-4587-47B8-A179-5F14C3170190.jpeg

My poor betta. He started getting what I thought was fin rot about 2 weeks ago. So I got some Melafix and used it for 7 days and it got so much worse! The edges are just torn-looking, no white edges or inflammation. My next thought was maybe the clay house thatā€™s in the pool is tearing his dorsal and upper caudal fins? Otherwise he also has a large tumor on his tail (not visible in this picture because itā€™s on the other side) and Iā€™m not sure if that contributes. Iā€™ve checked the standard parameters - temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. What else could I be missing? Thank you!

Salt salt SALT!
If there is a tumor, it could be cancerous but salt at the ratio of 2 tablespoons per 5 gallons should help heal some of it. If its cancer though I don't know how to help...
Don't use your average table salt. Make sure you use a salt with no additives. I alwsys have the API brand salt on hand

Melafix is not good for bettas. If you go that route, use bettafix. It has the harmful part removed.

Melafix is not good for bettas. If you go that route, use bettafix. It has the harmful part removed.
Don't really use any meds, this includes bettafix. They all can be harsh and cause other issues.
Only use some meds as a last resort.

Bettafix is dilute Melafix. Since most people keep bettas in tiny tanks, the dilute solution makes it easier to dose.

I woke up today and my poor beta Loki does not look good. I took the water to the pet store they tested it and said everything is perfect. He doesnā€™t like to eat anything except for Live Brine. He will occasionally eat frozen brine. Also when I was at the pet store I showed them a picture of him and the white dots on his face they told me it is not Ich. I pointed out on their fish that they had on display that those fish even have it on their face a little bit so they might want to be careful. So that might be the reason they said it is not.
But today when I woke up his fins are completely torn and not even there in some spots. Thereā€™s only two items other than real plants in his tank so there is absolutely Nothing or at least nothing I can think of or see that could hurt him
2608E638-1793-45F5-816B-93A999B6CB32.jpeg
5C2672EE-65B3-4EB3-9E02-388859436667.jpeg
C5DBD7E9-CA2E-41FA-AC97-B4C897BD432A.jpeg
AEF7BDDD-474A-46AE-9623-05A523E71997.jpeg
77C6AF83-3E56-47F4-9BD9-B1622BC744C3.jpeg

Sorry I put so many pictures of course theyā€™re out of order unfortunately. I will explain the two first pictures are from after I got him about a month thatā€™s when I was keeping an eye on the white dots on his nose I circled it in one of the pictures also I noticed his fins seem to be changing colors and scratching away The only thing I could think of was he had Ich and he must be hurting himself accidentally on this fake log that was in the tank that was a hiding spot for him because it had sharp edges. I took that out fixed everything up in the tank. The next two pictures are of today how I found him and he looks terrible his fins are all broken up they look like theyā€™re falling off and he just does not have the energy as usual lays on the bottom of the tank on his side looks like his dead sometimes. I donā€™t think heā€™s just sleeping because usually he sleeps in his little cave that I made all which is that little cup. The last picture is of the first day Iā€™ve brought him home when he looked healthy at least I thought.

That looks like a pretty bad bacterial infection.
Water change on a regular basis and correct water temperature could help prevent infection from taking hold.
Salt treatment could help in mild fin rot, but this case looks quite severe to me. Thereā€™re products available to treat bacterial infection but I canā€™t comment on any of them as Iā€™ve never used any myself.

Thank you so much for your input. From everything I was reading on here I had a feeling it was fin rot or something like that. But from as little as I do know I am actually knowing a lot more from this little guy heā€™s putting me through the ringer, and he is a fighter, but from what heā€™s looking like right now itā€™s not looking good for him and I just feel so gosh darn bad. The water temperature should be perfect itā€™s within the range that it says for a beta fish and I just had the water checked for everything and the pet store gave me the paperwork it was even better than when I first got him. So I have no idea what could be causing this . I think heā€™s just making me love him and work every single day on this little teeny beautiful fish to show me how much you truly can love a little tiny fish that doesnā€™t talk to you or anything does not argue with you but you still fall in love with them lol heā€™s teaching me a lesson

When you do water tests, you do Not test for bacteria in the water.
Bacterial infection can be managed by doing regular and frequent water change.
If you sucessfully treat this infection, you'll need to keep up with water change to prevent same infection fron happening again.

I donā€™t know if I should take him into the pet store to show them because they really probably donā€™t know either. Or if I should take a picture and go there and show them. Or just let him live out his life the best I can. Because I just donā€™t wanna stress him out any more than he might possibly bešŸ™
When you do water tests, you do Not test for bacteria in the water.
Bacterial infection can be managed by doing regular and frequent water change.
If you sucessfully treat this infection, you'll need to keep up with water change to prevent same infection fron happening again.
I donā€™t have the tests at home they give me a little jar so I can take the water out of the tank and bring it to them and they test it at the store. Iā€™m going to send you the first and the second results that they gave me itā€™s on paper I donā€™t necessarily know how to read it my brother-in-law and sister do so theyā€™ve been helping me a bit as well. I do know though that they said the second time they tested it it was better. Also Iā€™ll send you a picture of the tank which Iā€™m just noticing one of the leaves two of the leaves actually I have to take out because they are dyingā€¦ But the tank does not have much in it and I actually do regular cleanings and keep up with it. My sister and her husband have taken care of several fish and have several of her on and know how to do this for a long time so theyā€™ve taught me and answer questions from you as well. But I will take any help from anybody that knows because he doesnā€™t look good and I want him to get better. Thank you so much

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for the test results. The tests were for water parameters; pH, ammonia, nitrite nitrate, etc., not for bacteria causing the infection. You'd need a vet to test for bacteria, a very expensive exercise.

Iā€™d just show the store the photo(s), no need to bring in the fish causing undue stress.

Without treatment, the fish will not survive. With treatment, the fish may or may not survive, depending on how advanced the infection is.

Itā€™s very helpful to have your sister and her husband helping out. They're in a good position to provide suggestions as they could see the fish in person.

Your tank looks very clean as far as I can see. Thanks for the photos, and all the best.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back