FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Of course. It is the best natural way to lower any parameters.
Eeither you buy distilled water, or osmosis water at a LPS (then at least in France), or you buy an osmosis machine so that you always have some on hand without having to move.
Once you have the right mixture (aquarium water + osmosis water) you just need to plan this mixture for each water renewal.
Thats a great tip! I plan on getting an ROW unit for my sink. They're a bit expensive here in the US but it's worth it! I just have to save again lol for now ill just dw in some empty gallon jugs I've been using to refill my tanks. I just purchased the leaves and dewormer so I can hopefully add them soon enough. Oh I also got some pH down. Does dw help lower pH as well?
Also sheesh I've been dipping my test strips in the water thinking it was fine cuz thats what the instructions said, I'll use a dropper from now on. No I don't use the strips for ammonia test. I have a separate test kit for ammonia that uses a little vial.

There's also Api general cure. I personally dilute dewormer in a glass of tank water, shake then pour into tank at the outlet hose.

Does he eat with enthusiasm or need to be persuaded ?
He is a picky eater but he eats pellets, krill treats and bloodworms with enthusiasm. He's very active as well. He'll chase my hand when he's not in a corner sleeping.

I need clear pictures and a video if possible to identify the damage.

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality and or a dirty tank that damages the skin and allows bad bacteria into the damaged tissue. The easiest way to treat it is by doing big daily water changes, gravel cleaning the substrate, and adding some salt.

Because of the anti-biotics and other medications you used, the fish could have a drug resistant bacterial infection in the fins. However, they don't look that bad.

Fins can also be damaged by plastic plants.

------------------
Try feeding the fish more different types of food and feed it more often (3 times a day). Do more water changes to compensate for the extra food going in the tank.

If the fish continues to be skinny after a month of more food, deworm it.
See part 3 of the following link for deworming fish.

I need clear pictures and a video if possible to identify the damage.

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality and or a dirty tank that damages the skin and allows bad bacteria into the damaged tissue. The easiest way to treat it is by doing big daily water changes, gravel cleaning the substrate, and adding some salt.

Because of the anti-biotics and other medications you used, the fish could have a drug resistant bacterial infection in the fins. However, they don't look that bad.

Fins can also be damaged by plastic plants.

------------------
Try feeding the fish more different types of food and feed it more often (3 times a day). Do more water changes to compensate for the extra food going in the tank.

If the fish continues to be skinny after a month of more food, deworm it.
See part 3 of the following link for deworming fish.
I might be able to get a clearer picture of him that I can send u when I fix my camera later today. My phone camera sucks lol

When u say big daily water changes how big? Like what percentage? Some ppl told me not to go over 50% cuz it'll stress him out more, I guess fish are subjective tho sometimes. My guy seems like a unique case because his fin rot heals and then comes back and heals and comes back.. he did have a fin nipping issue for a bit but he hasn't been doing it since I updated his tank to live plant setup. I also heard that adding salt to planted aquarium is harmful to the plants. I don't have any fake plants. How much salt can u add to not risk harming your plants? I could also put him in a hospital tank though if need be. I've tried salt in the past before I had a live setup. It didn't help much.

I just bought more food today, some protein based micro pellets because he likes the small floating ones :) he's a bit picky lol he will only eat krill, frozen thaw blood worms and omega one pellets. I've tried feeding him other things but he doesn't care for it it seems. I wish he would eat live food but he just runs away when it moves. Idk if he's afraid of it or just doesn't know it's food? He's a weirdo I guess.

He is a picky eater but he eats pellets, krill treats and bloodworms with enthusiasm. He's very active as well. He'll chase my hand when he's not in a corner sleeping.
This is a good sign.
Long finned Betta need to be muscly to bear their fins weight. Yes fins are heavy considering Betta weigh 2.5 grams.....

This is a good sign.
Long finned Betta need to be muscly to bear their fins weight. Yes fins are heavy considering Betta weigh 2.5 grams.....
That's good! He is pretty muscular, just seems skinny. He doesn't have that big plump look of most bettas.

Could you please post pics when he spreads his fins to check them easier. It is enough he sees himself on a mirror for flaring.

Could you please post pics when he spreads his fins to check them easier. It is enough he sees himself on a mirror for flaring.
Another weird thing about him is he's never flared, not even at his own reflection. I've used a betta mirror before and he just looks at it and swims away. I've had other bettas that have flared a bunch of times at different things but never this guy. I tried to send some pics where he's spreading his fins more.

Attachments

• 20210709_093614.jpg
    20210709_093614.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210630_111241.jpg
    20210630_111241.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 41
Woahh you shot it well ! His finrot doesn't seem serious, but he definitely skinny, so deworm him. If you object to using medicines you can give him, 2 x week,2-3 little pieces of fresh garlic (pellet size) before any other food to make sure he eats garlic. I treated mine this way during the 7 years I kept him.
You should also add a Yerminalia catappa leaf that you'll renew every month or so, it depends on its size : mine are large as an adult hand so I add one/month or 5 weeks per 50 liters.
I also have teak leaves that bring very effective antibacterial natural ingredients.

Woahh you shot it well ! His finrot doesn't seem serious, but he definitely skinny, so deworm him. If you object to using medicines you can give him, 2 x week,2-3 little pieces of fresh garlic (pellet size) before any other food to make sure he eats garlic. I treated mine this way during the 7 years I kept him.
You should also add a Yerminalia catappa leaf that you'll renew every month or so, it depends on its size : mine are large as an adult hand so I add one/month or 5 weeks per 50 liters.
I also have teak leaves that bring very effective antibacterial natural ingredients.
Thanks! Glad I was able to capture his fins well enough. I've seen some regrowth in the past few days due to doing a waterchange every other day, but his finds are still damaged looking in some areas.
Today I tried to dose with pancur c for the deworming because he didn't eat anything that tasted like garlic. He's really picky. He had a very odd reaction to the medication, heavy breathing and swelling despite me having added the right dosage for a 5 gal. I did a 50% waterchange and he started acting himself again. Idk after that I don't want to try medicating with pancur again. Idk if its because I just dumped it into the tank and hadn't done it slowly (thinking it was like most meds for fish) or what but that reaction had me scared. Almost seemed like an allergy. He's doing fine now but I'll give it 3 days before messing with anything. I also took my nerites out having heard the active ingredient could kill them.

You know, finrot doesn't vanish this quickly. It needs about a month.
How was/is his poop ? Did you notice any worms ?
Oh well yeah its been more than a month its been like a year since he's gotten it and its been off and on. I've just noticed some regrowth in some areas over the past week but other areas are still infected. He's had it since I moved him into a larger tank. I think improving his water is helping. I got a new test kit and it has helped me read the parameters more accurately, I've also been working to lower the ph. Also I have never seen his poop. No white stuff. Does this rule out worms as being the issue in his immunity? He's always been underweight so I'm not sure.

Oh well yeah its been more than a month its been like a year since he's gotten it and its been off and on.
A year ?!?!?!?!
Sorry but wgu (the heck) did you wait this long ??

since I moved him into a larger tank.
Any tankmates ?

Filtration - bubble filter with air stone and internal aquaspongue
What is the flow ? I mean how many liters/hour ? Betta dislikes flow even slow one.

Let's try to not fert anymore for a few weeks and check what's happening.

Supplement him with what he loves eating and check how it goes.

A year ?!?!?!?!
Sorry but wgu (the heck) did you wait this long ??

Any tankmates ?

What is the flow ? I mean how many liters/hour ? Betta dislikes flow even slow one.

Let's try to not fert anymore for a few weeks and check what's happening.

Supplement him with what he loves eating and check how it goes.
I have not been waiting, I wouldn't ever wait for something like this to just go away so sorry if what I said was misleading. What I mean is I've been trying a bunch of different things all of which I think I listed and none of them worked, so I've come here for more options or ideas. The fin rot has persisted ever since he began fin biting which was a behavior that took place when I put him in a new tank about a year ago.
The flow of said tank was 90L/hr I think, but he used to be in an unfiltered bowl that had no flow and I wonder if he had a hard time adjusting. He is a butterfly so his fins are very heavy. Everything in the tank upgrade was artificial decoration. About a month ago I've since upgraded him to a planted tank with many places he can rest away from the flow. This new set up also has aeration. I think these changes are helping because I've since noticed how his color has improved but his weight was still an issue and it has been since I got him, hence the whole suspicion of parasites. Two things I haven't tried yet is tea tree leaves and those should be getting here soon, and an RO unit. Our water currently is too soft, has a higher ph, and too high alkalinity here so I'm wondering if that's apart of the issue with his immunity due to the possible stress. The RO unit I ordered should aid with that as it lowers ph and neutralizes water hardness. In the meantime I have been adding ph down to his water changes to eventually neutralize it slowly.

His tankmates are 4 nerites and a few bladder snails. Yeah too many snails but I ordered 1 and they sent me 4 so I wasn't sure what else to do with them until I start another planted set up lol

Anyways just wanted to update on my current gatherings. I know dealing with fin rot is a lengthy process lol I've been struggling with it for about a year is what I mean. Everytime he seems to be healing it comes back somehow despite my params not spiking at any point. It's just confusing and I needed help 😕

I'll not fert for about 2 weeks and post another update!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back