FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

tierneynel

Reaction score
Hi, Iā€™m new here but am in need of help.

I have had a betta fish for a couple months now but I believe he may be suffering with fin rot.

Iā€™ve removed all ornaments so donā€™t believe he has ripped his fins.
I have tried partial and full water changes.
We have a closed filter system so I donā€™t believe he will be getting caught in this.
I was advised by the aquatic store to use melafix but saw no improvement and after five days found some info saying itā€™s detrimental to bettaā€™s so did a full water change.
We have no other fish that could damage him and after much observation I donā€™t believe he is damaging himself.

He now been put into a 7l quarantine tank (heā€™s usually in a 30l tank) with fresh treated water.
Iā€™m unsure of the next steps, please help!!!

I will attach photos of him on purchase and him currently.

He is still eating and responding to us. Although, he sometimes lies on the bottom of the tank and appears lethargic.

Attachments

• 8F8D0064-F024-4025-89AF-AE0A424FFE9A.jpeg
    8F8D0064-F024-4025-89AF-AE0A424FFE9A.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 006A05F8-4D86-4F2A-A1C1-50D568364CA4.jpeg
    006A05F8-4D86-4F2A-A1C1-50D568364CA4.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 69
by all means, i am no expert in the hobby I just got back into it last year. but I can try to help, let me ask a few things first .what kind of plants? Have you done a water test Nitrite ammonia ph double-check temp in that tank?

Last edited:
Are your tanks fully cycled? Do you think you could post us your test results please?

by all means, i am no expert in the hobby I just got back into it last year. but I can try to help, let me ask a few things first .what kind of plants? Have you done a water test Nitrite ammonia ph double-check temp in that tank?
He has a java fern and what I believe in an anacharis. From what Iā€™ve seen itā€™s fine but will check again this morning.

Are your tanks fully cycled? Do you think you could post us your test results please?
I have tried to cycle them but if Iā€™m being completely honest I canā€™t be sure that Iā€™ve done it correctly. Will test water now and update you.

I have tried to cycle them but if Iā€™m being completely honest I canā€™t be sure that Iā€™ve done it correctly. Will test water now and update you.
NO3 - 25mg/l
NO2 - 0mg/l
GH - 8Ā°d
KH - 10Ā°d
pH - 7.8
Cl2 - 0

Are you using test strips? Do yourself a favour and invest in a liquid testing kit like the API master kit. The strips unfortunately are inaccurate and in my opionion a waste of money. Do you know what your ammonia reading is? Ci2 I think is chlorine if I'm not mistaken which would read 0 if you've used tapsafe

Are you using test strips? Do yourself a favour and invest in a liquid testing kit like the API master kit. The strips unfortunately are inaccurate and in my opionion a waste of money. Do you know what your ammonia reading is? Ci2 I think is chlorine if I'm not mistaken which would read 0 if you've used tapsafe
Yes I am but thatā€™s good to know. I do use tap safe, vacuum my gravel and do partial water changes as often as I can (every couple of days - a week) but might take a water sample to my local aquatic centre to test it.

Yes I am but thatā€™s good to know. I do use tap safe, vacuum my gravel and do partial water changes as often as I can (every couple of days - a week) but might take a water sample to my local aquatic centre to test it.
Good idea

Okay I managed to get ahold of a liquid test kit. Iā€™ve got a pH of 8, 0 nitrite and ammonia is maybe 0, maybe 0.2 (itā€™s hard to tell with the opacity of the water.)

maybe try some API aquarium salt (correct dosage for the tank he's in) and raise the temp to 80ish and see if he improves. Good luck hope he improves

UPDATE: He now has practically no fin left.

Iā€™ve kept up with aquarium salt alongside water changes and have also tried used esha2000.

This is feeling pretty severe and urgent now.

All water parameters appear fine still and I have also worked on decreasing the tanksā€™ pH to a more ideal pH.

Iā€™m at a complete loss! Any new advice would be appreciated.

Since we can't get meds like antibiotics withour prescription, we are limited in what can do. Some people swear by Waterlife's Myxazin if you want to try that instead of eSHa 2000.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back