fin rot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I can check them once I have the Betta but she doesn't have a test kit and can't get to a pet store to have it checked right now.
It's tricky to narrow it down without knowledge on the parameters, but atleast once you have the betta you can sort him out. I'd definetly say to do atleast 75% WC and vacuum the moment you get him home, then start with the salt and daily WC. Try and pick up a test kit asoon as you can though just to know what the tanks readings are. Sure you'll sort him out though, he just needs abit of love and TLC

I know it's probably a stupid question but when I add salt do I need to take the Betta out in a bag, put salt in the tank, and acclimate him to the water with salt in it?

I know it's probably a stupid question but when I add salt do I need to take the Betta out in a bag, put salt in the tank, and acclimate him to the water with salt in it?
I just fill a cup with water directly from him tank, add the desired measurement (@Colin_T posted the measurements above) stir till dissolved and then slowly poor directly infront of the filter. Some may recommend you remove the betta for it, I personally don't as I believe that mixing the salt before hand prevents any problems like burning etc, I'm sure someone will correct me if I should do it differently. Taking the fish out of the tank every day could upset the fish more than being present for the water changes and could cause him to damage his fins further. Just be sure not to catch his fin with the vacuum and that salt is fully dissolved in the cup before slowly pouring it back into the tank

You need to know. Just like @Colin_T said, if your friend has no filter then that's why the betta has still finrot.
Follow his advice and ignore mine, I'll never get anything right.
Actually you got it pretty close to right, water changes and salt. In a few more months you can be elevated to my apprentice :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back