Fin Rot Or Something Else?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have two bettas, one is a male crown tail and the other is a male veil tail. Both are in their own 1.5 gallon tanks both with silk plants. 

The crown tail I purchased from wal mart and the veil tail i purchased from pet supply plus. 

I know that 1.5 gallons is a bit small for a betta but I do 100% water changes every 2 days and 25% water changes daily.Their temperatures stay right around 78/79 degrees F*. When I purchased both fish they both had slight curling of their fins. It hasn't gotten worse at all, and they have no damage to their fins since they have come home with me. 

My question is could they have been getting fin rot in the plastic cups all stores keep them in? Or could this be genetic from inbreeding? On both fish the ends of the curls are white and haven't been changing at all. 

Bump temperatures up to 82-84 degrees. You really need at least five gallons for each fish (some would say less, but I don't put my boys in anything less than a ten gallon usually. A five is nice because that's about the lowest size for a reliable cycle).

How long have you had the fish? Curling is indicative of fin rot. Most bettas purchased in those little death cups suffer from fin rot. Clear edges mean they are healing. Darkening (unless the fish naturally has dark edges) mean dying tissue. I'm not sure about white though.

In 1.5 gallons, 100% water change is ideal everyday.

Ive had the crowntail for 3 months and the veil tail for about 2 weeks. The ends of the curls are white-ish/clear.

Got my Crown tail from WalMart. He had white tips on the ends of his fins. When he flared it looked like a war bonnet. Now, they are all red, and his fins are as long as a Viel tail. I have had him a good year and a half.
I would say that a larger tank would be better. Had him in a 1.5 for the first couple of weeks, while I freed up the 10. Almost instantly after putting him in the 10 he got much more active.

frapadoodle said:
Got my Crown tail from WalMart. He had white tips on the ends of his fins. When he flared it looked like a war bonnet. Now, they are all red, and his fins are as long as a Viel tail. I have had him a good year and a half.
I would say that a larger tank would be better. Had him in a 1.5 for the first couple of weeks, while I freed up the 10. Almost instantly after putting him in the 10 he got much more active.
Both bettas are very active and happy, so that isnt the issue, my crowntail has grown quite a bit. 

Guess, it depends on the fish.
Fin rot in those little cups is possible, but with clean water shouldn't be a problem.
Are those your Betta's in your sig?
And great avatar.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back